Landgrave - Abell Ketelby

From the book, "The Baronies of South Carolina," the term "baronies" refers to large tracts of land in lowcountry South Carolina that were single, undivided grants during the era of the Lords Proprietors. This volume traces the granting of these tracts, the division of the land into plantations, and the descent of ownership of the plantations, along with genealogies of familes. The Baronies include Ashley, Fairlawn, Cypress, Wadboo, Seewee, Winyah, Boone's, Oketee, Hobcaw, Malling, Raphoe, Ashepoo, Landgrave Ketelby's and Quenby and the Eastern Branch of Cooper River.


Though the struggle in North Carolina to secure recognition of popular control over the colonial agent was more bitter and prolonged, there was a similar movement in the sister colony of South Carolina. During the proprietary period, in 1714, the assembly appointed the first permanent land agent in South Carolina, Landgrave Abell Kettleby.

Nominally, Kettleby was responsible to both branches of the legislature, but actually he was under the control of the lower house, for they alone could remove him and appoint a successor, a power which was exercised in 1716 when they dismissed Kettleby.

Two years before they had appointed Joseph Boone and Richard Beresford as special agents to represent certain grievances to the Lords Proprietors, but the governor and Executive Council refused to sanction the appropriation for this mission. Nevertheless Boone and Beresford were recognized by the Board of Trade as land agents for the colony. In 1721 two special agents, Francis Yonge from the Executive Council and John Lloyd from the Commons House of Assembly, were appointed, both of them subject to the entire Assembly. Yonge remained in office until 1727, when Samuel Wragg was appointed as agent.

(From “The Colonial Agent as a Popular Representative.” Bond, Beverley W. Political Science Quarterly (September 1920): 372-92)


 


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved