Carolina Lords Proprietors

Hugh Watson

Hugh Watson held two separate shares in trust for the minors James Bertie and Henry Bertie - the Edward Hyde share, then owned by the heirs of Seth Sothel and sold to the two brothers held in trust by Hugh Watson in 1694; and, the William Berkeley share, then owned by Mary Archdale Danson and her husband John Danson, who had died c.1724, and sold to Hugh Watson in 1725.

Sometime soon thereafter, the Edward Hyde share was assigned solely to James Bertie, and the William Berkeley share was assigned solely to Henry Bertie.

Hugh Watson was an attorney and a member of the Middle Temple. Virtually nothing more is known about this man.


 


© 2014 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved