Carolina Lords Proprietors

James Bertie

James Bertie (March 13, 1674 - October 18, 1735) was the second son of James Bertie, 1st Earl of Abingdon. He was a Freeman and Bailiff of Oxford in 1695; a Freeman in Hertford during 1704; the Commissioner of Sewers for the Tower Hamlets in 1712, Trent navigation 1714; the Steward of Grosmont, Skenfrith and White Castle, and the Duchy of Lancaster 1714–20.

He was a Member of Parliament from 1695 to 1734, representing New Woodstock first, then Middlesex. He married Elizabeth, the daughter of George Willoughby, 7th Lord Willoughby of Parham, and they were the parents of fourteen (14) children.

For the years of 1714 to 1728, James Bertie signed official documents on behalf of the minors Henry Somerset and Charles Noel Somerset, the sons and heirs of the deceased Henry Somerset, 2nd Duke of Beaufort. Apparently, this was authorized by the minors' trustee, Doddington Greville.

Bertie County, North Carolina was created in 1722 and named after James Bertie and his brother, Henry Bertie, both Lords Proprietors at that point in time.


Hugh Watson held two separate shares in trust for the minors James Bertie and Henry Bertie - the Edward Hyde share, then owned by the heirs of Seth Sothel and sold to Hugh Watson in 1694; and, the William Berkeley share, then owned by Mary Archdale Danson and her husband John Danson, who had died c.1724, and sold to Hugh Watson in 1725.

Sometime soon thereafter, the Edward Hyde share was assigned solely to James Bertie, and the William Berkeley share was assigned solely to Henry Bertie.

In 1728, James Bertie transferred his ownership of the original Hyde share to four young men, including one who was his son - Edward Bertie, Alexius Clayton, Samuel Horsey, and Henry Smith. These four men sold their rights to the Crown in 1728/1729.


 


© 2014 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved