Carolina - The Villages and Towns Established During the Proprietors' Rule

By 1729, there had been nineteen (19) towns or permanent trading posts established in Carolina, but two (2) had been abandoned. 

Town/Settlement

Established 

Settled By

Charles Town (NC)

1665 
Sir John Yeamans and a group of Barbadians. Abandoned in 1667. 

Charles Town (SC)

1670 
Sir William Sayle and Sir John Yeamans bring another group of Barbadians 

New London

1682 
English 

Stuart's Town

1684 
Highland Scots. Destroyed by Spanish in 1686 and abandoned that year.

Dorchester

1696 
New Englanders from Dorchester, Massachusettes 

Mount Pleasant

1696
English under the leadership of Captain Florentia O’Sullivan.

Little River Trading Post

1700 
Intrepid Traders from Charles Town 

Fort Landing

1700 
Virginians 

Bath

1705 
French Huguenots from Virginia 

Childsbury

1707
James Child granted land for a new town in Berkeley County.

New Bern

1710 
German and Swiss/Palatine immigrants from the Rhine Valley 

Beaufort (SC)

1711 
English/Welsh 

Queen Anne's Creek

1715 
Virginians 

Fort Congaree Trading Post

1718 
Militia from Charles Town 

Beaufort Town (NC)

1722 
Militia from Edenton 

Perquimans Court House

1722
Locals in the area since late 1600s.

Ashley River Ferry Town

<1723
aka Butlers Town. Folks from surrounding area of St. Andrew's Parish.

Brunswick Town

1726 
English from Charles Town, SC 

George Town

1729 
English and French Huguenots 
 

Later Towns in North Carolina >> 

   

Later Towns in South Carolina >> 


 


© 2016 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved