Wickham County, North Carolina
         
   

   

A History of Wickham County
n 1705, Bath County was divided into three precincts: (1) Wickham (became Hyde County in 1712); (2) Pamtecough (became Beaufort County in 1712); and (3) Archdale (became Craven County in 1712). When Bath County was abolished in 1739, its seven precincts, Hyde, Beaufort, Craven, Carteret, New Hanover, Bladen, and Onslow, became counties. 
The county was formed December 3, 1705, as Wickham Precinct, one of three precincts within Bath County. The name Wickham was derived from the manor of “Temple Wycombe” in Buckinghamshire, England, the family home of John Archdale, Governor of North and South Carolina from 1695 to 1696. In 1712, it was renamed Hyde Precinct.
Wickham Precinct began just east of Bath town at Mellyne's (later Sinclare's) Creek on the west side of the Matchapungo (later Pungo) River and on the north side of the Pamlico River, including all the land from the creek eastward to Matchapungo Bluff, near present day New Holland. In 1712, the precincts of Bath County were renamed Hyde, Beaufort, and Craven Precincts, respectively. Hyde was named in honor of Governor Edward Hyde.
Click Here to see the approximate boundaries of Wickham County during its brief existence.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved