Bertie County, North Carolina
         
   

   

Year Established

County Seat

Population (2010)

1722

Windsor

21,282

First Settled

First Settled By

Significance of County Name

1690s

Virginians

James & Henry Bertie,
Lords Proprietors

Other Significant Towns

Askewville

Aulander

Colerain

Connarista

Drew

Kelford

Lewiston-Woodville

Powellsville

Roxobel

Taylors Store

-

-
Click Here - To see how Bertie County evolved each decade - includes all the known towns and villages.

A History of Bertie County

 


Bertie Family Coat-of-Arms

Click Here to go to the official website of the Bertie County government.


Bertie Court House - In 1741, when Northampton was carved out of Bertie County and Hertford County was formed in 1754, the first court house of 1724 was then outside the boundaries of Bertie County.

In 1743, a lease was signed for one acre of land for the old court house. In 1744, preparations began to move the court house. On May 10th, James Castelow (originally Barneycastle) bought one acre of land on the north side of the Cashie River and the south side of Will's Quarter Swamp where the new court house, prison, and stocks were to be built. For twenty-four years this was the second court house of Bertie County.

In 1768, the third court house was built and used for 111 years. On December 13, 1886, the county commissioners asked for a bill to be drawn up by the General Assembly and bonds were issued. The members of the board were chairman W.A. Capehart, Peter Rascoe, A.J. Dunning, J.B. Stokes, and they appointed a building committee consisting of L. Thrower, J.E. Mitchell, J.B. Martin, James Bond, A.S. Rascoe.

Theo Ralph contracted to build court house. Aaron Rascoe bought five $100 bonds, J.P. Johnson bought the remainder, and the old coach shop was used while the court house was being built.


Bertie County is one of the largest counties in North Carolina, spanning 741 square miles. It was originally part of Albemarle County, established in 1664. In 1668, Chowan Precinct, including Bertie Precinct, was created in Albemarle County. Bertie Precinct was separated in 1722 from Chowan Precinct. Initially, Bertie Precinct was comprised of present Bertie County, Tyrrell County, Edgecombe County, Northampton County, and Hertford County. By 1780, Bertie County had been divided to resemble its current shape.

Bertie County was named for James Bertie and Henry Bertie, who had purchased two of the eight (8) Lords Proprietors' shares of North Carolina. Bertie County’s county seat is Windsor, which was established in 1766 and was made county seat in 1774. The county includes the eight incorporated townships of Askewville, Aulander, Colerain, Kelford, Lewiston-Woodville, Powellsville, Roxobel, and Windsor.

Click Here to learn about all of the known officers and men who served in the Bertie County Regiment of Militia during the American Revolution. All names in "blue/underscore" can be clicked on for additional information.

Agriculture plays a key role in the lives of Bertie County citizens. The primary crops for Bertie County are cotton, tobacco, peanuts, corn, and soybeans. Bertie County is comprised of fertile uplands and lowlands, with some large swamps called pocosins, making Bertie County ideal for agriculture. In addition, the timber industry is key to the area. Livestock and the growing poultry industry, which focuses on broiler production, are major contributors to Bertie County’s agriculture base.



© 2013 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved