Currituck County, North Carolina
         
   

   

Year Established

County Seat

Population (2010)

1668

Currituck

23,547
 

First Settled

First Settled By

Significance of County Name

1650s

Virginians

Indian word for wild geese, Coratank
 

Other Significant Towns:

Waterlily

Grandy

Jarvisburg

Shawboro

Click Here - To see how Currituck County evolved each decade - includes all the known towns and villages.

Click Here - To see the known battles/skirmishes in Currituck County during the US Revolution.

A History of Currituck County

By October 1668 Chowan, Currituck, Pasquotank, and Perquimans precincts had been formed in Albemarle County. In 1689, Albemarle County as a unit of government ceased to exist, although the name continued intermittently in use for at least a further ten years. 

Currituck County, established in 1668, was one of the original counties and also just one of five original ports in North Carolina.

For some strange reason (apparently lost to history), the Lords Proprietors decided to rename all four of the original precincts within Albemarle County around the year 1680. Currituck Precinct was renamed to Carteret Precinct (not to be confused with the later creation of Carteret County in a different location). However, the citizens objected and the new name was never really accepted nor used by many other than those in official capacities. By the mid-1680s, the name was changed back to the original name - Currituck - which has remained ever since.

Click Here to see the approximate boundaries of the short-lived Carteret Precinct.

Corolla and Currituck Beach Lighthouse are across the Currituck Sound, east of the mainland. Currituck Sound is shallow, 35 miles long and varies from four to 15 miles wide.

In the early 1700s, Currituck County's original courthouse was constructed. This building was replaced in 1842 and is still in use today. A jail was built in 1776, and together with the courthouse these are two of the oldest buildings in North Carolina.

The Albemarle Chesapeake Waterway, which opened in 1859 and became part of the Intracoastal Waterway from Maine to Florida, is today used by both commercial watermen and pleasure-boaters. Coinjock, on its banks near the center of the county, is a very popular stopover for the snowbirds - power cruisers and sailboats heading south.

By the late 1800s, Currituck, an Indian name for Land of the Wild Goose, was known as the premiere duck hunting region of the East Coast. Wealthy visitors discovered the enormous numbers of ducks and geese wintering on the sound. Sportsmen from all over the United States came to hunt, either in guided parties or as members or guests of the many hunt clubs - including the legendary Whalehead Club.



© 2013 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved