Davie County, North Caeolina
         
   

   

Year Established

County Seat

Population (2010)

1836

Mocksville

41,240

First Settled

First Settled By

Significance of County Name

1740s

Scots-Irish

William Richardson Davie

Other Significant Towns

Advance

Bixby

Bermuda Run

Calahaln

Clarksville

Cooleemee

Davie Crossroads

Farmington

Fork

Maine

Smith Grove

-
Click Here - To see how Davie County evolved each decade - includes all the known towns and villages.
Click Here - To see the known battles/skirmishes in Davie County during the American Revolution.

A History of Davie County

 


Davie County Administration Building

Click Here to go to the official website of the Davie County government.


Davie County was formed in 1836 from Rowan County. It was named in honor of William Richardson Davie, a distinguished Revolutionary War officer, a member of the Federal Convention of 1787, Governor of North Carolina, special envoy extraordinary and minister plenipotentiary to France, and one of the founders of the University of North Carolina. It is in the central section of the state and is bounded by Davidson, Rowan, Iredell, Yadkin, and Forsyth counties. The present land area is 265.18 square miles and the population in 2010 was 41,240. In 1837, the court was ordered to be held at Mocksville. Mocksville, incorporated in 1839, has been the county seat ever since. 
In the late 1740s, settlers began migrating west of the Yadkin River. The entire western portion of North Carolina was part of Anson County in 1748. Rowan County was a large undefined section of the northwestern part of our state and was formed from Anson County in 1753. The space between the Yadkin and South Yadkin Rivers that is part of Rowan County and as far west as the current Wilkes County, is known as the Forks of the Yadkin.

Davie County was formed from this portion of land in 1836. The county was named Davie in honor of William Richardson Davie, a Revolutionary War officer, Governor of North Carolina, Minister to France, and a leader in the founding of the University of North Carolina.

Mocksville was incorporated in 1839. With today's population of approximately 4,200, Mocksville is the county seat and Davie County's largest town. Other incorporated towns in the county are Cooleemee, with over 900 residents and incorporated in 1985; and Bermuda Run, with over 1,400 residents and incorporated in 1999. Other unincorporated towns include Calahaln, Clarksville, Farmington, Fulton, Jerusalem and Shady Grove.

Davie County is in the western piedmont or heartland of the state of North Carolina. It is bounded on the north by Yadkin County, northeast by Forsyth, east by Davidson, west by Iredell and south by Rowan.

Milk, beef cattle, poultry products, timber, flue-cured tobacco, greenhouse and nursery products, soybeans and corn are the top agriculture products grown in our county. Our forests are mostly oak, hickory, and pine.

According to records, a small village named "Mocks Old Field" was in existence before the American Revolution. Even then, the area was considered to be centrally located on the main north-to-south and east-to-west routes of travel in North Carolina. Mocks Old Field was used frequently as a secret meeting place for colonial forces and planners, some of whom were members of the family of Davie County's most famous citizen, Daniel Boone.

The following are Davie County listings in the National Register of Historic Places:

o Boxwood Lodge
o Center Arbor
o Jesse Clement House
o Cooleemee Plantation
o Davie County Courthouse
o Former Davie County Jail
o Downtown Mocksville Historic District
o Foard-Tatum House
o Fulton United Methodist Church
o Hinton Rowan Helper House
o McGuire-Setzer House
o North Main Street Historic District
o Salisbury Street Historic District
o John Edward Bell Shutt House

While the name Daniel Boone is associated generally with Kentucky and the west, he also lived in Davie County, in the Forks of the Yadkin, for most of thirteen years. Boone became the most important explorer in opening the land across the Appalachians to settlement and paved the way for rapid development of that region. From boyhood through manhood, Daniel Boone acquired in Davie County the experience, fortitude, courage, endurance, resourcefulness, and expertness with the rifle, which enabled him to succeed in his great undertaking.

Squire Boone, Daniel Boone's father, was born in England in 1696, came to Pennsylvania about 1713, and married Sarah Morgan in 1720. They became the parents of eleven children, and Daniel, the sixth child, was born on November 2, 1734. They were a prosperous, well-established Quaker family.

Squire Boone sold his 158-acre farm in Pennsylvania and probably reached North Carolina in late 1751 or early 1752. On April 13, 1753, Squire Boone acquired his first tract of land in Davie County along Elisha Creek. At approximately eighteen years of age when his family moved to the county and as an early hunter and explorer, Daniel Boone referred to the Forks of the Yadkin as the best hunting area he ever saw.

On August 14, 1756 at the age of 22, Daniel Boone and Rebecca Bryan, age 17, were married by his father, Squire Boone, who was a Justice of the Peace. Tradition tells that Daniel and Rebecca first lived in a cabin in Squire Boone's yard. They lived for about ten years near the fork of Sugartree (or Sugar) Creek, approximately two miles east of Farmington. There are no known records which describe this house, but four of his five children are believed to have been born there between May of 1757, and March of 1766.

During this decade while living on Sugartree Creek, Daniel farmed, hunted, explored, and worked as a wagoner. According to the records, he received bounties for killing wolves, wildcats, and panthers. Although Daniel and Rebecca temporarily left the dangerous and troubled Yadkin River area, he bought a 640-acre Bear Creek site in October of 1759 - which indicated the family definitely intended to return when the Indian danger and other disturbances were over.

Daniel and Rebecca did return to Davie County in 1762, but it is not known whether they returned to the Bear Creek site or his former home on Sugartree Creek. Possibly in the summer or fall of 1766, Daniel and Rebecca moved from their home in Davie County to Holman's Ford on the Yadkin River about eight miles north of the present Wilkesboro. Daniel and Rebecca left North Carolina in 1775, and finally settled in Missouri about 1800. Rebecca Boone died in 1813, and Daniel died seven years later in 1820.

Daniel's father, Squire Boone, died on January 2, 1765, and his mother, Sarah, died in 1777. Both are buried in the Joppa Cemetery, one-half mile west of Mocksville on Highway 601.

Reference: "History of Davie County" by James W. Wall, 1997. Much more can be found on the 'Net - Click Here. Link is current as of September 2005 and December 2015.



© 2013 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved