Pamtecough Precinct, North Carolina


A History of Pamtecough Precinct
Pamtecough Precinct was formed in 1705 from part of the existing Bath County. In 1712, Pamtecough Precinct was renamed to Beaufort Precinct.
In 1705, one of the sub-divisions of Bath County was named Pamptecough Precinct. This Indian word was gradually anglicized to "Pamlico," now the name of the major waterways upon which Pamtecough bordered, the Pamlico Sound, and the Pamlico River. An even later division (in 1879) created the contemporary Pamlico County.
Click Here to see the approximate boundaries of Pamtecough Precinct during its brief existence.

© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved