Pitt County, North Carolina
         
   

   

Year Established

County Seat

Population (2010)

1760

Greenville

168,148

First Settled

First Settled By

Significance of County Name

1714

Virginians

William Pitt, the Elder

Other Significant Towns

Ayden

Bethel

Bruce

Calico

Falkland

Farmville

Frog Level

Grimesland

Oakley

Quinerly

Stokes

Winterville
Click Here - To see how Pitt County evolved each decade - includes all the known towns and villages.

A History of Pitt County

 


George Hardee House - Pitt County

Click Here to go to the official website of the Pitt County government.


The Act establishing Pitt County authorized the courts to be held at the home of John Hardy until a court house could be built. It also directed the justices to contract for the construction of the court house, prison, and stocks on John Hardy's land on the south side of the Tar River, near the chapel known as Hardy's Chapel. In 1771, Martinborough was established on Richard Evan's land, and in 1774, the court house, prison, and stocks were moved to Martinborough. Court was held at the home of John Lessley until the new court housf, prison, and stocks were completed. In 1787, Martinborough was changed to Greenesville, later shortened to Greenville, which has been the county seat ever since.
In 1714, Louis Duvall received a royal grant to the land where the first bluffs rise along the banks of the Tar River, and it was there that the first English settlement within what has become Pitt County, North Carolina was established. Duvall called his home Mount Calvert. In the 286 years since, that land has been called other names: Salter's Ferry, Boyd's Ferry, Nelsonville, and Elksville are some of them. Today it is Grimesland.

Among those early English colonists was a woman from Bristol whose brother, Edward Teach, lived in Bath. Today, Edward Teach is more widely known as "Blackbeard," one of history's most notorious pirates and an American legend. Although most of his activities were concentrated in the Pamlico Sound, it is said that Blackbeard often climbed a cypress tree on the banks of the Tar River near Grimesland to survey shipping on the river for potential plunder. A few years after Duvall died, his daughter sold Mount Calvert to Edward Salter and it soon became known as Salter's Ferry. By 1752, it contained a bustling tobacco inspection station and a warehouse. In 1768, a mail route was established between Williamsburg, Virginia and Charles Town, South Carolina which passed over Salter's Ferry. This route soon developed into the main conduit for land travel between those important cities and the little settlement on the Tar River thrived.

It was during the 1760s that Dempsie Grimes came from Norfolk County in Virginia to begin a plantation called "Avon" near Salter's Ferry. His son, William Grimes, bought more land lower down the Tar River from "Avon" and he established another plantation which he called "Grimesland." William Grimes had a son named Bryan Grimes and a grandson named Bryan Grimes for whom the present-day town of Grimesland is named.

A graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Bryan Grimes, Jr. prospered as a planter. He enjoyed enough prominence and esteem to be elected as a delegate to the state convention which voted North Carolina out of the Union in May of 1861 and ratified the constitution of the Confederate States of America. That same month, Grimes received a major's commission in the 4th North Carolina Regiment. Although he lacked military training and possessed a quick and fiery temper, Grimes demonstrated skill, judgment, and courage throughout his service with General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia and received rapid promotion. He commanded the 4th North Carolina at Seven Pines (where every other officer in the regiment was killed), Mechanicsville, and Chancellorsville. He led a brigade at Fredericksburg. In the Gettysburg campaign, Grimes led North Carolina infantry in the advance element during the invasion of Pennsylvania. During the retreat back into Virginia, he commanded North Carolinians fighting in the rear guard.

He distinguished himself at the fighting in the Wilderness and especially at the "Bloody Angle" during the battle of Spotsylvania after which he received promotion to brigadier general on May 19, 1864. He led a brigade in Early's Valley Campaign and the raid on Washington. After assuming the command of a division at Cedar Creek, Grimes received a second star on February 23, 1865, the last officer in the Army of Northern Virginia to receive promotion to the rank of major general. He led his division in fighting at Petersburg, Fort Stedman, Sayler's Creek, and Appomattox. When notified of Lee's surrender to Grant, Grimes's initial reaction was to take his command, march to North Carolina, join the Confederate troops already there and continue to fight, but another general officer prevailed upon him not to disgrace himself by violating a flag of truce. Grimes surrendered his division with the rest of Lee's shattered army at Appomattox Court House.

"Go home, boys," he told his troops, "and act like men, as you have always done during the war." Grimes rode back to his plantation, resumed farming, and never again took any part in politics. In 1880, he was killed by a man with whom he had a private dispute. In 1887, the little town on the banks of the Tar River first settled by Louis Duvall in 1714 was renamed in honor of Major General Bryan Grimes, Jr., and it has remained Grimesland to this day.

By David W. Trevino


Pitt County was named after William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, who was an English statesman and orator, born in Westminster, England. He studied at Oxford University and in 1731, Pitt joined the army. Pitt led the young "Patriot" Whigs and in 1756 became Secretary of State for the Southern Department, where he was a pro-freedom speaker in British Colonial government. He rose to become the Primer Minister of England from 1766 to 1768. Pitt County was founded in 1760 under British Colonial government. Prior to 1760, there was one large county, Beaufort County, which was split into five smaller counties, Pitt County being one of those smaller counties. Since 1970 Pitt County has operated under County Manager government.
Click Here to learn about all of the known officers and men who served in the Pitt County Regiment of Militia during the American Revolution. All names in "blue/underscore" can be clicked on for additional information.
Click Here to view/download an Adobe PDF file of the book, entitled "Sketches of Pitt County - A Brief History of the County, 1704-1910," by Henry T. King, published in 1911.
Click Here to view/download an Adobe PDF file of the small book, entitled "Pitt County: Economic and Social," by S.O. Worthington Editor-in-Chief, published in 1920.


© 2013 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved