Washington County, North Carolina
         
   

   

Year Established

County Seat

Population (2010)

1799

Plymouth

13,228
 

First Settled

First Settled By

Significance of County Name

~1700

Virginians

President George Washington
 

Other Significant Towns:

Mackeys

Pleasant Grove

Scuppernong

Creswell

Cherry

Wenona

Roper

Hinson

Click Here - To see how Washington County evolved each decade - includes all the known towns and villages.

A History of Washington County

 

Roanoke River Lighthouse

Washington County was created in 1799 from Tyrrell County. It is named after President George Washington. The courts were ordered to be held at Lee's Mill until a courthouse could be constructed. Plymouth, already in existence when the county was established, was incorporated in 1807. In 1823, the courthouse was moved from Lee's Mill to Plymouth. In 1873, the General Assembly authorized that the county seat be moved from Plymouth to McKey's Ferry provided the people approved the same by popular vote. Apparently, they did not. Plymouth has been the county seat ever since.

This was the second incarnation of Washington County, the first of which was established during the Revolutionary War and later became part of Tennessee.


Somerset Place

Somerset Place is a representative state historic site offering a comprehensive and realistic view of nineteenth-century life on a large North Carolina plantation. Originally, this atypical plantation included more than 100,000 densely wooded, mainly swampy acres bordering the five-by-eight mile Lake Phelps, in present-day Washington County. During its eighty years as an active plantation (1785-1865), hundreds of acres were converted into high-yielding fields of rice, corn, oats, wheat, beans, peas, and flax; sophisticated sawmills turned out thousands of feet of lumber. By 1865, Somerset Place was one of the upper South's largest plantations.

From Somerset's earliest days through the end of the Civil War, people of different races, legal, and economic status lived on the property. A labor force of almost 200 men, women, and children was assembled before 1790. They were black and white, enslaved and free. Over the life of the plantation, three generations of owners, around fifty white employees, two free black employees, and more than 850 enslaved people lived and worked on the plantation.

By the mid-nineteenth century, more than fifty buildings were clustered on the northeast rim of Lake Phelps, serving as the industrial complex and residential community. Included were barns, saw and gristmills, stables, a hospital, an Episcopal chapel, a kitchen complex, and 26 houses for members of the enslaved community. Homes for overseers, tutors, ministers, and the owner's family (shown above)—along with a kitchen/laundry, dairy, storehouse, and smoke and salting houses—also stood here.

Click Here for the NC State Historical Commission's website with much more information and many more photos. Link is current as of August 2005.



© 2013 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved