Washington District, North Carolina

A History of Washington District

The District of Washington was officially recognized in 1776 as a part of the governmental structure of North Carolina.


On August 22, 1776, the inhabitants living along the Watauga, Holston, and Nolachucky rivers petitioned the Council of Safety saying that since they "are within the Bounds of this State," they wanted to be officially annexed to North Carolina, and wanted to be allowed to set up courts and to elect their representatives in the General Assembly. This petition was favorably acted upon and their representatives took their seats in the Fifth Provincial Congress at Halifax on November 19, 1776, but history has lost their names.

Click Here to see the approximate boundaries of the Washington District from 1776 to 1777.


Washington County - now in Tennessee - was formed in 1777 by changing the name of the Washington District to Washington County.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved