North Carolina Education - Anson County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1750

Anson County

Wadesboro
On December 26, 1821, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Spring Grove Academy in Anson County. Eleven (11) trustees were named in the Act.
On December 31, 1822, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Meltonville Academy in Anson County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act. By 1825, the town of Meltonsville had its first post office.
Also on December 31, 1822, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Culpepper Academy in Anson County. Twelve (12) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 7, 1830, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act concerning Wadesborough Academy in the town of Wadesborough in Anson County. Ten (10) additional trustees were named in the Act. Apparently, the Wadesborough Academy was established sometime between 1791 and 1816, the Legislative Acts not yet found by this Author.
On January 13, 1834, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Morven Academy in the town of Morven in Anson County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On December 7, 1842, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Oak Grove Academy in Anson County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 16, 1849, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate a Female College in Anson County. Twenty-five (25) trustees were named in the Act. On September 9, 1850, the town of Carolina Female College had its first post office. The town was renamed to Ansonville in 1856.

Established in 1850 by a group of locally prominent landowners, Carolina Female College was placed under the auspices of the Methodist Church. A sum of $20,000 went toward construction of the college building. Young women aged ten (10) to twenty (20), many of them daughters of ministers, from as far away as Mississippi attended. The first president was the Reverend Alexander B. Smith of Anson County. Classes were suspended from 1862 to 1864 due to an outbreak of typhoid fever and the American Civil War.

The school closed in 1867 at which time stockholders placed the property in the hand of the South Carolina Methodist Episcopal Conference. Residents of the Palmetto State, however, evinced little interest in the institution. Local secondary school classes were held in the old building until about 1885. For some years thereafter it served as an apartment house but by the mid-twentieth century the structure was in state of decay and was demolished in the 1950s.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

On January 28, 1851, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to prohibit the sale of spirituous liquors within 2-1/2 miles of the Carolina Female College.
On February 15, 1855, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Anson Institute in the town of Wadesboro in Anson County. Seven (7) trustees and fifty-six (56) stockholders were named in the Act.
On February 2, 1857, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act authorizing the Carolina Female College to increase its assets from $20,000 to $150,000.
On March 10, 1881, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to prohibit the sale of spirituous liquors near four schools in Anson County: Pee Dee Academy, Long Pine Academy, Lawyer Springs School House, and Ansonville Male and Female Academy.
On March 11, 1885, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to prohibit the sale of spirituous liquors within three (3) miles of Morven Academy in the town of Morven, Anson County.
On March 5, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Morven Academy Company in the town of Morven, Anson County. Five (5) corporators were named in the Act.
On March 12, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Barrett Collegiate and Industrial Institute for colored students in the town of Pee Dee in Anson County. Six (6) trustees were named in the Act.
 
 
 


© 2017 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved