North Carolina Education - Carteret County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1722

Carteret County

Beaufort
On December 31, 1822, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act authorizing the trustees of Portsmouth Academy in Carteret County to raise $1,000 via a lottery.
On January 25, 1843, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Beaufort Male and Female Academy in the town of Beaufort in Carteret County. Eleven (11) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 28, 1851, the North Carolina General Assembly passed a Resolution directing the president and board of directors for the Literary Fund to look into the practicability of draining certain lands in Carteret County.
On March 31, 1871, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Newport Peabody Educational Association in the town of Newport in Carteret County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
On December 18, 1871, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Beaufort Peabody Educational Association in the town of Beaufort in Carteret County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.

The area around Beaufort, North Carolina, has long been valued by marine biologists for its research potential. Zoologists established a field station here as early as 1860 and in the 1870s officers stationed at Fort Macon published a series of articles detailing the marine life. In 1899, the federal government located a fisheries laboratory at Beaufort, only the second in the nation after one at Woods Hole, Massachusetts. Rachel Carson (1907-1964), author of Silent Spring, often vacationed at Beaufort and worked at the lab, which operates to this day on Pivers Island. Nearby is the Duke University Marine Laboratory founded in 1938. Seaside laboratories, where work could be conducted on living specimens, were a response to the limitations imposed by campus settings. Louis Agassiz of Harvard, in 1873, established the nation’s first such lab on the Massachusetts coast. Today there are over five hundred (500) seaside labs around the world.

The first sustained marine research in Beaufort was sponsored by the Chesapeake Zoological Laboratory of The John Hopkins University. Professors and students from the school conducted their initial summer laboratory in 1878 at Hampton, Virginia, moving the next year to Crisfield, Maryland. Beginning in 1880, they rented a house on the waterfront in Beaufort, North Carolina. In a typical season ten to twelve researchers stayed in the house. Their objective was to study southern fauna whereas the laboratory founded by Agassiz in New England studied the marine life in northern waters. In 1883, they moved back to Hampton, returning to Beaufort for 1884, 1885, and 1886. For five years beginning in 1886 the summer program was not held; it resumed operation in Jamaica in 1899.

Their headquarters for each of the six years in North Carolina was a house on Beaufort’s Front Street built by Seth Gibbs in 1851. The house remains and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Gibbs House was also home to the federal fisheries laboratory from 1899 to 1902 when its permanent headquarters were completed.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

On February 8, 1887, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Beaufort High School Association in the town of Beaufort in Carteret County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act.
On February 28, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Farmers' Co-Operative School of North Carolina in the town of Morehead City in Carteret County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act.
On March 3, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to extend the existing charter of the Washburne Male and Female Seminary of Beaufort in Carteret County. This school was originally incorporated via "letters patent" on April 19, 1867.
 
 
 
 


© 2017 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved