North Carolina Education - Edgecombe County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1741

Edgecombe County

Tarboro
Apparently, in 1813 the North Carolina General Assembly passed "An Act for Erecting an Academy in the Town of Tarborough" since it was "revived" on January 2, 1847; see below. This Author has not found any legislative Acts between 1791 and 1816.
On December 31, 1822, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Hopewell Academy in Edgecombe County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act. Unclear if this is the same academy as incorporated on January 11, 1841; see below.
On December 31, 1823, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Town Creek Academy in Edgecombe County. Twelve (12) trustees were named in the Act.
On December 31, 1824, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Mount Prospect Academy in the village of Mount Prospect in Edgecombe County. Eleven (11) trustees were named in the Act.
Also on December 31, 1824, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Harmony Grove Academy in Edgecombe County. Thirteen (13) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 4, 1826, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Pleasant Grove Academy in Edgecombe County. Twelve (12) trustees were named in the Act.
Also on January 4, 1826, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to regulate the Tarborough Academy in the town of Tarboro in Edgecombe County. Five (5) trustees now constitute a quorum to transact business.
On February 12, 1827, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish New Hope Academy in Edgecombe County. Eight (8) trustees were named in the Act. Unclear if this is the same academy as incorporated on January 26, 1843; see below.
On January 7, 1828, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Columbia Academy in Edgecombe County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 4, 1831, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Hickory Grove Academy in Edgecombe County. Eighteen (18) trustees were named in the Act.
On December 22, 1835, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Conetoe Academy in Edgecombe County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 11, 1841, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Hopewell Academy near the town of Stantonsburg in Edgecombe County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act. Unclear if this is the same academy as established on December 31, 1822; see above.
On January 26, 1843, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate New Hope Academy in Edgecombe County. Six (6) trustees were named in the Act. Unclear if this is the same academy as established on February 12, 1827; see above.
On January 2, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to revive an Act passed in 1813 for erecting an Academy in the town of Tarborough in Edgecombe County. Nine (9) new trustees were named in the Act.
On January 18, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Toisnot Academy in Edgecombe County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 27, 1849, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the Superintendents of Common Schools in Rowan and Edgecombe Counties to invest part of their school funds in solvent bank stocks.
On March 28, 1870, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to restore the corporate powers of the trustees of the Tarboro' Academy. Twelve (12) trustees were named in the Act to manage a male and a female academy. The town was required to provide two (2) acres for the school.
On February 11, 1873, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Edgecombe Female Seminary in Edgecombe County. Eleven (11) trustees were named in the Act, and the school was authorized assets up to $100,000.
On March 7, 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the qualified voters in the town of Tarboro to decide whether to levy a special tax to fund graded schools in the town of Tarboro in Edgecombe County. Seven (7) trustees were named for each of the white school and the colored school, if voters approved the new tax.
On March 9, 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the voters in the town of Rocky Mount to decide whether to levy a special tax to fund graded schools in the town of Rocky Mount in Nash and Edgecombe Counties. Seven (7) trustees were named for each of the white school and the colored school, if voters approved the new tax.
On March 6, 1885, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the above Act about graded schools in the town of Rocky Mount. The boundaries of the school district were re-defined in this Act.
On March 7, 1887, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to create and establish a special free school district at the town of Sharpsburg in the counties of Wilson, Edgecombe, and Nash. Three (3) whites and two (2) colored school committeemen were named in the Act.
On January 28, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Wilkinson Female Institute in the town of Tarboro in Edgecombe County. Annie M. Wilkinson and Annie W. Hughes were named in the ACt.
On March 9, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Tarboro School Board, which included twelve (12) members to manage the Tarboro Graded School for whites and the Princeville Graded School for colored in Edgecombe County.
On March 1, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the qualified voters in the town of Tarboro to decide whether to levy several new taxes for public schools in the town of Tarboro in Edgecombe County.
On March 6, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish graded schools in the town of Rocky Mount in Nash County and Edgecombe County. Three (3) trustees were named in the Act. This Act was repealed on March 11, 1895; see below.
On March 2, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Tarboro Collegiate Institute in the town of Tarboro in Edgecombe County. The founder, Mary Whitehurst, was named in the Act.
On March 11, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to repeal the earlier Act of March 6, 1893 (above) to establish graded schools in the town of Rocky Mount in Nash County and Edgecombe County.

In 1895, the Joseph Keasbey Brick Agricultural, Industrial and Normal School (aka the Brick School) was established in Edgecombe County, North Carolina by Julia Elma Brewster Brick (aka Mrs. Joseph K. Brick) of New York. Thomas Inborden was sent to North Carolina along with five teachers to launch the new school. During the school’s first year, it enrolled fifty-four (54) students, some boarders and others living at home in the local area. The school was co-educational and accepted students up to the fourth grade. The institution eventually boasted over one thousand acres, three large dormitories, educational buildings, and shops. Students supplemented the traditional school curriculum by training in various trades such as blacksmithing, woodwork, mechanical drawing, and cabinet-making. The dual educational approach benefited the school since a variety of farm products were produced to support its programs. In addition, the school had a strong business in mail-order honey sales. Interest in the school boomed and, at one time, enrolled as many as 460 students.

Mr. Inborden and others worked to make the school succeed and in 1926 it was made a junior college. However, due to financial difficulties and decreasing enrollment during the Great Depression, the Brick School was forced to close its doors. Although the school closed, it is credited with being a pioneer institution of education in eastern North Carolina and is recognized for educating many African Americans in the region.

Most of the above write-up (with edits) comes from the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2017 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved