North Carolina Education - Franklin County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1779

Franklin County

Louisburg
In 1786, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act - Chapter LXXVII - naming and authorizing trustees to build and manage the new Franklin Academy in Louisburg. Also, "the monies when collected and received to be applied by the said Trustees or a majority of them towards paying for the house already contracted for to be erected in the said town, to contract with and employ a Tutor or Tutors, and to perform every act or thing that they or a majority of them shall think necessary and expedient for the advancement of the said academy, and the promotion of learning therein."

Louisburg College is the oldest two-year, church-related, co-educational college in the nation. Its predecessor institution, Franklin Academy, received a charter in 1787. The academy was re-chartered in 1802 and, after false starts, opened east of the town commons, on January 1, 1805, as Franklin Male Academy. Enrollment expanded under the leadership of Matthew Dickinson, a graduate of Yale University, who was well versed in over twenty subjects including five languages. In 1814, Louisburg Female Academy was chartered and opened on the west side of the town commons with an additional building to accommodate the young women. Under the rule of Asher H. Ray and his wife Jane Curtis Ray, the school offered four-year regular courses and became known as a respected female seminary.

Work began to transform the female academy into a college in 1855. Development and instruction continued under the new plan until 1865 when the college was forced to close. The college reopened in 1866 only to be closed again in 1878 for the next eleven years. During that time the buildings were used as a private residence and for a high school.

Reopening in 1889 with eight teachers and a president, the college enrolled around 100 students. The institution had long been operated under the care of the Methodist Church, but the church had not given any support for the institution since its establishment in 1805. The college did receive funds from Washington Duke of Durham, who became owner of the property in 1891. Upon Duke’s death in 1907, Benjamin Duke, his son, presented the property to the North Carolina Conference of the Methodist Church. His act of generosity officially linked the college to the Methodist Church. New additions were made to the campus in the early twentieth century and the program was reorganized in 1915 to make Louisburg College a junior college. The college became coeducational in 1931.

This write-up provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker Program. Click Here to read.

On December 26, 1821, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Midway Academy in Franklin County. Thirteen (13) trustees were named in the Act. To be built on the lands of Charles A. Hill.
On February 12, 1827, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Spring Grove Academy in Franklin County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act. To be built on the lands of John D. Hawkins.
On December 3, 1842, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Midway Academy in Franklin County for a second time. Ten (10) new trustees were named in the Act.
On January 8, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Franklin Institute at Cedar Rock in Franklin County. The village of Cedar Rock was given a Post Office in 1858. Eight (8) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 15, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Franklinton Female Academy in the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. Twenty (20) trustees were named in the Act. This Act was repealed on January 28, 1851; see below.
Also on January 15, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Franklinton Male Academy in the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. Twenty (20) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 28, 1851, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Female Academy in the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. Nine (9) new trustees were named in the Act. The earlier Act of January 15, 1847 (above) was repealed by this Act.
On January 9, 1855, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the trustees of the Louisburg Female Academy to convey certain interests to the Louisburg Female College in the town of Louisburg in Franklin County. To move buildings and pay the academy $40 per year.
On February 16, 1855, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Franklinton Male and Female Institutes in the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. Sixteen (16) trustees were named in the Act.
On March 11, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Franklinton Military and Classical Institute in the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. Six (6) corporators were named in the Act.
Also on March 11, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Louisburg Male Academy in the town of Louisburg in Franklin County. Twenty-one (21) trustees were named in the Act.
On February 5, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Franklinton Christian College, a colored college in the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act. Allegedly started in 1871 on the south side of Franklinton. In 1883, it was incorporated as the Franklinton Literary and Theological Christian Institute. In 1905, the school was moved to the north side of Franklinton. It was closed in 1930 due to the Great Depression. Click Here for the source.
On March 6, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize qualified voters in the town of Louisburg to decide whether the town of Louisburg should purchase the property of Louisburg Female College then to sell said property and apply the funds to public school purposes.
On March 9, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to remove the colored Normal School from the town of Franklinton in Franklin County to the town of Warrenton in Warren County. An Act of January 20, 1893 moved it back to Franklinton; see directly below.
On January 20, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to remove the colored Normal School from the town of Warrenton in Warren County back to the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. See directly above.
On February 13, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Girls' Training School, a school for colored girls, in the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. Four (4) incorporators were named in the Act.
On March 2, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Cedar Rock Academy in the village of Cedar Rock in Franklin County. Five (5) trustees were named in the ACt.
On February 15, 1899, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to provide for the management of the Colored Normal School in the town of Franklinton in Franklin County. Five (5) new trustees were appointed by the General Assembly.
 
 
 
 


© 2017 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved