North Carolina Education - Hertford County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1759

Hertford County

Winton
This Author has not found the legislative Acts and Resolutions from 1791 to 1816. If they are ever located then they will be appropriately included herein.
On February 12, 1827, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Spring Field Academy in Hertford County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 4, 1831, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Murfreesborough Academy in the town of Murfreesborough in Hertford County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 9, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Buck Horn Academy in Hertford County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.

Chowan College, now Chowan University, a four-year institution affiliated with the Baptist State Convention, traces its origins to the May 1848 meeting of the Chowan Baptist Association, where a group of Baptist deacons recommended that a regional school for girls be created. On October 11, 1848, Chowan Female Institute opened in Murfreesboro with an initial class of eleven (11) students. Renamed Chowan Female Collegiate Institute in 1850, the school featured a curriculum that included math, the sciences, history, and the language and fine arts. Tuition in 1850 was $113 for five months, a substantial cost at the time.

In 1910, the school was renamed Chowan College, and began granting four year bachelor degrees. Fifteen (15) years later, Chowan College was granted state accreditation, and in 1927 received a $25,000 gift from tobacco magnet Benjamin N. Duke. Four years later, after a failed attempt to merge with Meredith College in Raleigh, Chowan College began enrolling men. Although the college had remained open with an all female student body during the American Civil War, the absence of male students during World War II forced the college’s closing from 1943 to 1948. In 1949, the school re-opened as a two-year institution, providing education on a junior college level.

During the 1980s, debates were held over whether to return the school to a four-year program. In 1992, the college again began offering bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees, awarding such diplomas in 1994. The name of the school officially changed from Chowan College to Chowan University on September 1, 2006. In the early 2000s, the institution had nearly eight hundred (800) students and over eighty (80) faculty members.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

Also see directly below to view the original legislative Act to incorporate the Chowan Female Institute.

Also see March 29, 1880 to view the legislative Act that changed the name of the school to the Chowan Baptist Female Institue.

On January 29, 1849, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Chowan Female Institute in the town of Murfreesborough in Hertford County. Twelve (12) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 15, 1851, the North Carolina General Assembly passed a Resolution to authorize the president and directors of the State Literary Fund to loan $3,000 to the Chowan Female Institute in the town of Murfreesborough in Hertford County. Interest to be paid semi-annually; no set end date.
On December 10, 1852, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Wesleyan Female College in the town of Murfreesborough in Hertford County. Fourteen (14) trustees were named in the Act.
On February 14, 1855, the North Carolina General Assembly passed a Resolution to authorize the State Literary Board to loan money to three schools, including $4,500 to Chowan Female Institute and $4,500 to the Wesleyan Female College, both in Murfreesborough in Hertford County.
On March 29, 1880, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to prohibit the sale of spirituous liquors within three (3) miles of the Chowan Female Institute in the town of Murfreesboro in Hertford County. This Act also changed the name of the school to the Chowan Baptist Female Institute.

The story of Dr. Charlotte Hawkins Brown and Palmer Memorial Institute is well known; but North Carolina was also home to other pioneering African American educators. Dr. Calvin Scott Brown (no relation) was born in Salisbury in 1859 and graduated from Shaw University in 1886. Brown worked his way through college (where he studied theology) with the aide of a Northern white church. Prior to graduation—and at the urging of Henry Martin Tupper, founder of Shaw University—Brown began his pastoral work in Hertford County, North Carolina at Pleasant Plains Baptist Church. He established a school for African American students, known as Chowan Academy, in 1886.

With funding secured by Dr. Calvin Scott Brown from the Home Mission Society of New York and other sources, the school flourished. The campus grew along with the school’s reputation, attracting students from well beyond the immediate area. The three-story Reynolds Hall was erected on campus in 1893, and Morehouse Hall followed in 1909. By then, the school had a new name: the Waters Normal and Industrial Institute (named in honor of a New York philanthropist). By the early 1920s, funding had become a problem; and Brown found himself in a constant struggle to keep the school afloat, often pouring his own salary into the effort. Brown’s wife taught for many years without pay. In 1924, the school was taken over by the state (which proved its salvation) and the name was changed again to Waters Training School.

Other African American educators and religious leaders were much influenced by Brown and his successes. Brown was well-traveled but cast his lot with the people of Hertford County and eastern North Carolina. In 1937, the school where he taught for 52 years before his death in 1936, was renamed in honor of its founder. In the academic year for 1963-1964, the C. S. Brown School boasted an enrollment of 579 at the high school level, and 608 at the elementary level. Currently, the C. S. Brown Student Development Center is part of the Hertford County public school system. Brown and his wife are buried on the old campus, which is now home to the C. S. Brown Regional Cultural Arts Center and Museum and the Office of Aging for Hertford County. The C. S. Brown School Auditorium building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

Also see the next three legislative Acts.

On March 7, 1887, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Winton Academy, a colored school in the town of Winton in Hertford County. Fifteen (15) trustees were named in the Act. The name was changed on March 9, 1889; see below. The name was changed again on February 3, 1891; see below. This was repealed on March 8, 1897; see below. This Act was partially repealed on March 8, 1899; see below.
On March 9, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to change the name of Winton Academy to Chowan Academy in the town of Winton in Hertford County. The name was changed again on February 3, 1891; see below. The Act was partially repealed on March 8, 1899; see below.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1889 and 1890, it was reported that there were fourteen (14) private schools for white children and one (1) private school for colored children in Hertford County. The private schools for white children were:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Chowan Baptist Female Institute

Murfreesboro

John B. Brewer

68 females

Wesleyan Female College

Murfreesboro

E.E. Parham

40 females

Murfreesboro Academy

Murfreesboro

D.P. Parham

18 males

Menola High School

Menola

F.S. Blair

22

Buckhorn Academy

Como

Julian H. Picot

30 males

Jericho School

Riddicksville

Miss Annie C. Moore

18

Private School

Lotta

Miss M.S. Myrick

21

Ahoskie School

Ahoskie

Miss Anna Parker

26

Union School

Union

Miss Hattie Jenkins

23 females

Winton Academy

Winton

M.R. Eure

18 males

Joyner's School

Winton

J.G. Joyner

16

Private School

Winton

Miss N.C. Deans

15

Enola School

Winton

Miss E.F. Webb

18

Private School

Aulander (?)

Miss Mary E. Savage

17
The singular private school for colored children was:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Chowan Academy

Winton

Rev. C.S. Brown

42
On February 3, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to change the name of Chowan Academy to Waters Normal Institute in the town of Winton in Hertford County. This was partially repealed on March 8, 1897; see below. This was again partially repealed on March 8, 1899; see below.
On March 6, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Murfreesboro Methodist College in the town of Murfreesboro in Hertford County. Ten (10) trustees were named in the Act.
On February 13, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Murfreesboro High School in the town of Murfreesboro in Hertford County. Seven (7) incorporators were named in the Act. This Act was amended on February 25, 1897; see below.
On February 25, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize Murfreesboro High School in the town of Murfreesboro in Hertford County to have two (2) more years to commence construction.
On March 8, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Chowan Educational Association for the education of colored children in the town of Winton in Hertford County. Nine (9) incorporators were named in the Act. The name - Waters Normal Institute - was retained by this association.
On March 8, 1899, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to again incorporate the Chowan Educational Association in the town of Winton in Hertford County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act. This association retained the name of Waters Normal Institute for the education of colored students.
 
 
 
 

“Better conditions in agriculture will be brought about as you boys study and apply yourselves to present day problems. The yield of corn in North Carolina is approximately fifteen bushels per acre. If you boys would like to do something about it, the Extension Service will help you organize a corn club and attempt to teach you how to increase the yield of corn.” With these words, spoken by I.O. Schaub to a group of Hertford County boys in May of 1909, North Carolina’s first 4-H Club was born. Beginning in the 1890s and early 1900s, 4-H Clubs were sprouting up all around the country, particularly in the South. The clubs’ goal was to improve young people’s agricultural education. The Hertford County club, arranged in Ahoskie, began as a Corn Club with fifteen (15) members. Corn Clubs originated in Mississippi with the purpose of increasing yields of corn.

On July 1, 1909, an agreement was made by North Carolina’s land grant colleges—North Carolina State College and North Carolina A&M—as well as the Bureau of Plant Industry and the Cooperative Extension Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture to support the agricultural demonstration work of boys and girls clubs. Schaub was appointed the state’s first club agent. Jane McKimmon, North Carolina’s first home demonstration agent, started a Tomato Club in 1911 for girls. Also in 1911, Charles Parker, one of the Corn Club charter members produced a record-breaking twenty-five bushels of corn on one acre. The clubs became official 4-H clubs in 1918, and their focus expanded to embrace many areas of rural life including education about soil, farm animals, tools, housekeeping, and cookery. In 1919, Hertford County hosted the first joint 4-H boys and girls camp on the banks of the Chowan River at Winton. By 1939, there were 1,156 organized 4-H Clubs in the state and 2,280 in 1955.

Today, more than 187,000 North Carolina youth participate in 4-H. The Hertford County 4-H offers services such as clubs, special interest programs, summer camps, school enrichment and after-school childcare. All programs work toward helping members develop and improve the 4-Hs: head, heart, health, and hand.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

 
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved