North Carolina Education - Iredell County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1788

Iredell County

Statesville

In 1778, Presbyterian minister James Hall of Fourth Creek Meeting House organized Clio’s Nursery, a Presbyterian academy. While Hall participated in the American Revolution, the school was under the supervision of his brother-in-law James McEwen who died shortly after the appointment. After McEwen’s death, Francis Cummins, who later became a Presbyterian minister, was placed in charge.

Clio’s Nursery closed during the British invasion of South Carolina and North Carolina extending from May 1780 to August 1782, when it re-opened under the supervision of John Newton. The school’s last teacher was Charles Caldwell, who left the academy in 1787 to establish Crowfield Academy near Centre Presbyterian Church. The school closed shortly thereafter.

Although only open for nearly a decade, the school boasted an impressive list of alumni. Former students included George Campbell, who served as secretary of the treasury in the James Madison administration, and Moses Waddell, who became president of the University of Georgia. E. F. Rockwell wrote in 1858 that a Congressman, three judges, and eight ministers also were graduates.

All during its existence, Clio's Nursery was in Rowan County. If it were open today, it would exist in Iredell County.

The above write-up (with edits and additions) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

This Author has not found the legislative Acts and Resolutions from 1791 to 1816. If they are ever located then they will be appropriately included herein.
On November 17, 1817, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Centre Library Society in Iredell County.
On December 26, 1821, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Union Library Society in Iredell County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On December 31, 1822, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Ebenezer Academy in Iredell County. Eleven (11) trustees were named in the Act.

In 1822, Presbyterian leaders in Iredell County founded Ebenezer Academy, a preparatory school. The institution was modeled on Clio’s Nursery, founded by Presbyterian leader James Hall in 1778. After the closing of Clio’s Nursery in 1787, a void had been left in the educational opportunities offered to young men in the community. Largely at the Hall family’s urgings, the North Carolina General Assembly chartered Ebenezer Academy and several nephews of James Hall acted as the first principals and teachers.

The academy offered a liberal education focused on English, grammar, and geography. The school consisted of at least one main classroom building and an associated dormitory. An 1823 newspaper advertisement for the school stated “all branches of education required for admission into college, will here be taught.” As if to calm parents’ fears, the paper also noted “the Academy is in a rural situation, six miles from Statesville, so that students will be measurably free from temptations to vice.” Students from across North Carolina, as well as several other states soon began arriving. Among the pupils were Thomas L. Clingman and Joseph P. Caldwell.

The school closed in 1856 as a result of the death of its principal, James Crawford, and a subsequent lack of funds. After the conclusion of the American Civil War, the academy re-opened as a subscription school. It remained in operation as such until the first decade of the twentieth century, when it was replaced by the construction of public schools in Iredell County.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

On January 10, 1835, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Poplar Grove Academy in Iredell County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 16, 1849, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Snow Creek Male Academy in Iredell County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
Also on January 16, 1849, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Statesville Male Academy in the town of Statesville in Iredell County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act.
On February 14, 1855, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the New Institute in the village of New Institute in Iredell County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act. This Act was amended on January 24, 1857; see below.

Mitchell College was officially authorized by the Concord Presbytery in 1852-1853 as a Presbyterian female academy in Statesville. However the first school building was destroyed by a storm while still incomplete and construction was halted for nearly three years due to a lack of funds. The college officially opened in 1856 as the Concord Female College.

Following the American Civil War, the academy was purchased by R. F. Simonton, who changed the name from Concord Female College to Simonton Female College. In the late 1870s, the school came into the hands of Eliza Mitchell Grant and Margaret Eliot Mitchell, the daughters of Elisha Mitchell, for whom Mount Mitchell is named. Under their leadership the school made considerable progress, expanding both the size of the campus and the curriculum. In honor of them, the school board of trustees named the college after them in 1917.

During the next two decades, major work was done remodeling the campus buildings and constructing new facilities. In 1932, men were first admitted and in 1959 the college became an independent community college recognized by the State of North Carolina. Today the school offers over 20 associate degree programs, as well as numerous certificate and diploma options for those pursuing post-secondary education.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

On January 24, 1857, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to change the name of the New Institute to Olin High School - the village of New Institute was renamed to Olin in 1856 - in the village of Olin in Iredell County. The trustees were authorized to increase their number to fifteen (15), and if they secure $40,000 in funding they may choose to become a full college. This Act was amended on February 26, 1867; see below.
On February 26, 1867, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the earlier Act of January 24, 1857 (above) concerning Olin High School in the village of Olin in Iredell County. The name was changed to Olin Agricultural and Mechanical College, and the college may issue capital stock up to $125,000
On March 7, 1871, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Statesville Seminary in the town of Statesville in Iredell County. Five (5) proprietors were named in the Act, and the school was authorized assets up to $50,000
On February 5, 1875, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Statesville Academy in the town of Statesville in Iredell County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act. The old Buena Vista Academy is mentioned in the Act.
On February 14, 1879, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Center Point Institute in Iredell County. Four (4) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 26, 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the qualified voters in the town of Statesville to decide whether to levy a special tax to fund graded schools in the town of Statesville in Iredell County.
On March 7, 1887, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Oak Institute Joint Stock Company in the town of Mooresville in Iredell County. Thirty (30) corporators were named in the Act, and the school was authorized capital stock of up to $20,000.
On March 9, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to increase school facilities in a portion of Rowan and Iredell counties by authorizing a new school district and for this new school district to unit with Iredell School District No. 100. Three (3) school committeemen were named.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1889 and 1890, it was reported that there were seven (7) private schools for white children in Iredell County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Oak Institute

Mooresville

R.B. Clarke

96

Mooresville Academy

Mooresville

Hugh A. Grey Jr.

115

Olin School

Olin

W.C. Feimster

50

Statesville Female College

Statesville

Mrs. Fannie E. Walton

102 females

Home School

Statesville

Mrs. Fannie Morrow

66 females

New Model School

Statesville

Mrs. A.V. Bennett

46 females

Select School

Statesville

Miss Julia MacCall

28 females
On January 21, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Orphans' Home of the Presbyterian Church in or near the village of Barium Springs in Iredell County. Ten (10) regents were named in the Act. The school was authorized real estate up to $300,000 and personal property up to $500,000, all tax exempt.
On March 6, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the qualified voters in the town of Statesville to decide whether to levy a special tax to fund public schools in the town of Statesville in Iredell County. This Act was amended on March 8, 1895; see below
On March 9, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to prohibit the manufacture of spirituous liquors within three (3) miles of a church and three (3) schools in Iredell County: Pleasant Grove School House, Oak Ridge School House, and District No. 104 School House.
On March 8, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the public school laws in the city of Statesville in Iredell County. This Act changed the terms of office for school committeemen.
On February 28, 1899, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Presbyterian Female College that had been chartered on May 30, 1896 in Charlotte, Mecklenburg County. This Act authorized the trustees to expand said college to the town of Statesville in Iredell County and to other locations in western North Carolina.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were seven (7) private schools in Iredell County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Statesville Female College

Statesville

J.B. Burwell

100 females

Statesville Male Academy

Statesville

J.H. Hill

40 males

Mooresville Academy

Mooresville

C.L. Grey

100

Mooresville District School

Mooresville

Forrest Rocket

100

Cool Spring Academy

Cool Spring

John F. Mitchell

75

Harmony High School

Harmony

A.W. George

75

Troutmans High School

Troutmans

E.D. Beaty

75
 
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved