North Carolina Education - Moore County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1784

Moore County

Carthage
This Author has not found the legislative Acts and Resolutions from 1791 to 1816. If they are ever located then they will be appropriately included herein. 
On January 13, 1834, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Silvester Academy in Moore County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 7, 1845, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Carthage Male and Female Academies in the town of Carthage in Moore County. Twelve (12) trustees were named in the Act. This Act was amended on January 16, 1847; see below.
On January 16, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the earlier Act of January 7, 1845 (above) concerning the Carthage Male and Female Academies. Twelve (12) new trustees were named in the Act, and the singular school was renamed to Carthage Male and Female Institute.
On February 25, 1881, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Jonesboro High School in the village of Jonesborough in Moore County. Fourteen (14) trustees were named in the Act, and the school was chartered for fifty (50) years.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1889 and 1890, it was reported that there were ten (10) private schools for white children and one (1) private school for colored children in Moore County. The private schools for white children were:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Carthage Academical Institute

Carthage

W.E. Evans & E.A. Cole

136

Carthage Female Academy

Carthage

Miss E. May Stuart

25 females

Ingram Branch High School

Near Carthage

S.D. Cole

97

White Oak Springs Academy

Near Carthage

J.R. Hankins

40

Jonesboro High School

Jonesboro

J.J. Partridge

84

Sanford High School

Sanford

R.B. Lineberry

76

Dover Academy

Rise

J.W. Dixon

102

Cameron Academy

Cameron

M.E. McIver

35

Southern Pines Academy

Southern Pines

Mrs. S.N. Rockwell

45

Aberdeen Academy

Aberdeen

J.M. Ledbetter

40
The singular private school for colored children was:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Dayton Industrial School

Carthage

Rev. H.D. Wood

115
On March 6, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Union Home School in Moore County. The founder was named in the Act, the school was chartered for fifty (50) years, and it was authorized assets up to $200,000.
On March 13, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Pierce College in the village of Roseland in Moore County. Two (2) incorporators were named in the Act. The village of Roseland received its first Post Office on November 20, 1896. In 1904, a forest fire totally destroyed the town and the college, and neither were rebuilt. However, the Roseland Post Office remained on the record books until 1918.
On March 8, 1899, the North Carolina General Assembly passed a Resolution endorsing the Pickford Sanitarium in the town of Southern Pines in Moore County. This group was created for the care and treatment of consumption for the colored race.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were five (5) private schools in Moore County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Carthage Institute

Carthage

W.P.M. Currie

80

Broadway Private School

Broadway*

M.A. McLeod

75

James Maske School

Lemon Springs*

C.V. Brooks

50

Jonesboro School

Jonesboro*

A. Arrington

60

Sanford School

Sanford*

D.L. Ellis

75
*These villages were in Lee County in 1907.

Samarcand, the State Home and Industrial School for Girls, was established in 1918 as a correctional institute for young women. The concept of the school originated through the work of Presbyterian minister A. A. McGeachy, who believed the state needed a protective care center for delinquent juvenile girls, many of whom were vagrants and prostitutes.

Named for a Persian city conquered by Alexander the Great, Samarcand was located on 230 acres that had been the Marienfield Open Air School for Boys. The school officially opened on September 17, 1918, and operated as a female counterpart to the Stonewall Jackson Training School in Concord. Dr. McGeachy was elected first president of the board of trustees and subsequently appointed schoolteacher Agnes B. MacNaughton as first superintendent.

By 1919, Samarcand housed more than two hundred (200) females between the ages of ten (10) and twenty-five (25). The school curriculum consisted of Biblical studies, music, science, and math. In addition, the girls received training in weaving, canning, and laundry preparation, as well as working on the chicken and cattle farm adjacent to the facility. In 1930, the administration opened an accredited high school on the campus, as well as a hospital.

Discipline at Samarcand could be harsh. Corporal punishment, in addition to solitary confinement, was often administered to the young women who misbehaved. In 1931, sixteen inmates set fire to two of the dormitories. They were charged with arson, and twelve of them set fire to their cells in prison. Eight eventually saw prison time. A 1940 account of the disciplinary ward described mattresses on the floor with no beds and a single washbasin and toilet for nearly thirty girls.

Samarcand survived the Great Depression and the loss of many of its male staff during World War II. The state officially renamed the school Samarcand Manor in 1974 and transferred it from the Department of Corrections to the Department of Human Services. Samarcand remained as a rehabilitation center for delinquent children and began admitting male patients as well. In 2002, state officials decided to return Samarcand to an all female institution. Samarcand closed in 2011.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved