North Carolina Education - Nash County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1777

Nash County

Nashville
This Author has not found the legislative Acts and Resolutions from 1791 to 1816. If they are ever located then they will be appropriately included herein. 
On November 17, 1818, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Hilliardston Academy in Nash County. Thirteen (13) trustees were named in the Act. The village of Hilliardston sprang up around the academy and received its first Post Office on April 13, 1821.
On February 12, 1827, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Nashville Male and Female Academies in the town of Nashville in Nash County. Eleven (11) trustees were named for the male academy. Eleven (11) trustees were named for the female academy.
On January 7, 1828, the North Carolina General Assembly passed another Act to incorporate the Nashville Male and Female Academies in the town of Nashville in Nash County. Eighteen (18) trustees were named in the Act. No reason was given for this second iteration less than a year later. Looks like they combined the two groups of trustees into a single set of trustees.
On January 10, 1829, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Rocky Mount Academy in the town of Rocky Mount in Nash County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 9, 1833, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Stony Hill Academy on lands of Martin R. Garrett in Nash County. Six (6) trustees were named in the Act. The village of Stony Hill sprang up around the academy and received its first Post Office on September 5, 1857; however, the Post Office was closed in 1860.
On January 16, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to again incorporate the Nashville Male and Female Academies in the town of Nashville in Nash County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 19, 1872, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Rocky Mount College in the town of Rocky Mount in Edgecombe County and Nash County. Twenty-five (25) trustees were named in the Act.
On March 9, 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the qualified voters in the town of Rocky Mount in both Edgecombe County and Nash County to decide whether to levy a special tax to fund graded schools in the town of Rocky Mount. Seven (7) trustees were named for each of the white school and colored school. This Act was amended on March 6, 1885; see below.
Also on March 9, 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the existing Stanhope Academy in the village of Stanhope in Nash County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On March 6, 1885, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the earlier Act of March 9, 1883 (above) concerning graded schools in the town of Rocky Mount. The boundaries of the school district were defined in this Act.
On March 7, 1887, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to create and establish a free school district from parts of Edgecombe County, Nash County, and Wilson County in the village of Sharpsburgh. Boundaries were defined in the Act, and three (3) white and two (2) colored school committeemen were named in the Act.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1889 and 1890, it was reported that there was one (1) private school for white children in Nash County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Stanhope Male & Female Academy

Stanhope

L.H. Joyner Jr. & A.A. Pippin

50
On March 6, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed another Act to establish graded schools in the town of Rocky Mount in Edgecombe County and Nash County. Three (3) trustees were named in this Act. This Act was repealed on March 11, 1895; see below.
On March 11, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to repeal the earlier Act of March 6, 1893 (above) concerning graded schools in the town of Rocky Mount in Edgecombe County and Nash County. No reason for the repeal was provided in said Act.
On February 10, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to define new boundaries for School District No. 30 for the white race in Nash County. Mount Pleasant Academy exists within the new boundaries.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were four (4) private schools in Nash County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

University School

Rocky Mount

W.V. Boyle

200

Stanhope Academy

Stanhope

E.L. Crocker

--

Carolina Institute

Nashville

C.S. Brame

--

Springhope Academy

Spring Hope

C.S. Ball

--
 

Citizens of Rocky Mount (in Nash County), in the spring of 1956, offered the United Methodist Church approximately $2 million in cash and pledges, along with a site and continuing annual support, to erect, operate, and support a senior college in their community. Chartered on October 25th of that year, the school was led by a board of trustees headed by W. Jasper Smith, a native of Bethel, North Carolina, who had served as a Methodist conference lay leader. A capital campaign led to further pledges totaling $4 million for construction. The Braswell family donated a 200 acre tract.

Selected to construct the college in a Colonial Revival style was the firm of Lashmit, James, Brown, and Pollock of Winston-Salem. Plans were drawn for facilities to accommodate 600 dormitory students and 200 day students. Construction began in June of 1958. The following year, the Reverend Thomas A. Collins of Raleigh became the school’s first president. In 1959, contracts were let for other campus buildings. The first freshmen enrolled in September of 1960. In May of 1964, the school graduated its first class of seniors.

In recent years, a multi-campus adult degree program has developed in Raleigh-Durham, Goldsboro and Rocky Mount. Over the course of its history North Carolina Wesleyan College has graduated about 7,000 students.

The above write-up (with minor edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved