North Carolina Education - Perquimans County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1668

Perquimans County

Hertford
This Author has not found the legislative Acts and Resolutions from 1791 to 1816. If they are ever located then they will be appropriately included herein.
Apparently, in 1815, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish the Pleasant Grove Academy in Perquimans County since the school was re-incorporated on December 22, 1838 and mentions the original passage in 1815; see below.
On November 17, 1817, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish the New Prospect School in the village of Oak Grove on Little River in Perquimans County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
On November 20, 1819, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish the Hertford Academy in the town of Hertford in Perquimans County. Eight (8) trustees were named in the Act, and they were authorized to raise up to 1,000 via a lottery or subscription.
On December 24, 1820, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish Concord Academy in Perquimans County. Six (6) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 4, 1831, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Woodville Academy in the village of Woodville in Perquimans County. Four (4) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 14, 1832, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Harvey's Neck Academy in Perquimans County. Four (4) trustees were named in the Act, all with the surname of Skinner.
On December 22, 1838, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Pleasant Grove Academy in Perquimans County. Five (5) new trustees were named in the Act to refill those appointed in an earlier Act of 1815.
On January 27, 1849, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Perquimans Academy in the town of Hertford in Perquimans County. Three (3) trustees were named in the Act, and they were authorized to issue stock in said academy. This Act was amended on February 18, 1861; see below.
On January 28, 1851, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to prohibit the sale of spirituous liquors within two (2) miles of Newby's Bridge Academy in the village of Newby's Bridge in Perquimans County.
On February 18, 1861, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the earlier Act of January 27, 1849 (above) concerning the Perquimans Academy in the town of Hertford in Perquimans County. Five (5) new trustees were named in the Act, and the name of the school was given as the Perquimans Male and Female Academy.
On February 18, 1867, the North Carolina General Assembly passed yet another Act to incorporate the Perquimans Male and Female Academy in the town of Hertford in Perquimans County. Five (5) trustees were once again named in the Act.
Circa 1867, the Belvidere Academy was established at Newby's Bridge, soon to be renamed to the the town of Belvidere. The school was established by the Society of Friends (Quakers) and in 1870 the principal was William A. Symmes with three teachers and 80 students of all denomiations enrolled. 
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1889 and 1890, it was reported that there were two (2) private schools for white children in Perquimans County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Perquimans Academy

Hertford

J.H.P. Leigh

90

Belvidere Academy

Belvidere

Miss M.J. White

57
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were five (5) private schools in Perquimans County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Belvidere Academy

Belvidere

Miss White

30

Woodville School

Woodville

Miss Sallie Grant

25

Perquimans Academy

Hertford

S.T. Liles

50

New Hope School

New Hope (?)

Miss Tennille

20

Winfall School

Winfall

W.G. Gaither

40
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved