North Carolina Education - Polk County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1855

Polk County

Columbus
On February 3, 1857, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Columbus Normal School in the town of Columbus in Polk County. Eight (8) trustees were named in the Act. Part of this Act was repealed on February 25, 1871; see below.
On February 25, 1871, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to repeal part of the earlier Act of February 3, 1857 (above) concerning the Columbus Normal School. Unsold town lots no longer income for the Columbus Normal School in Polk County. Lots can now be sold to pay down the county debt.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1889 and 1890, it was reported that there was one (1) private schools for white children in Polk County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Mills Spring Academy

Mills Spring

Mrs. H.D. Shankle

35
On March 9, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Saluda Seminary in the village of Saluda in Polk County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act.
On March 9, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Central Industrial Institute in the town of Columbus in Polk County. Fifteen (15) trustees were named in the Act.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were two (2) private schools in Polk County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Columbus Industrial Institute

Columbus

Rev. A.S. Beaman

75

Saluda Seminary

Saluda

Miss Fidelia Sheldon

55
 
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved