North Carolina Education - Richmond County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1779

Richmond County

Rockingham
In 1788, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act - Chapter XXXV - naming and authorizing trustees to build and manage a new school named the Richmond Academy in the town of Rockingham. This Act was amended on January 5, 1847; see below.
This Author has not found the legislative Acts and Resolutions from 1791 to 1816. If they are ever located then they will be appropriately included herein.
On January 7, 1830, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish and incorporate Hickory Grove Academy in Richmond County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 5, 1847, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to revive the earlier Act of 1788 (above) pertaining to the Richmond Academy in the town of Rockingham in Richmond County. Eight (8) new trustees were named in the Act. This Act was amended on March 12, 1883; see below.
On March 12, 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the earlier Act of January 5, 1847 (above) pertaining to the Richmond Academy in the town of Rockingham in Richmond County. The trustees may purchase, own, and sell real estate, and they are no longer required to post a bond.
On March 11, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act amend an earlier Act pertaining to Robeson County to now include the establishment of public schools for the Croatan Indians in Richmond County.
On March XX, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to create a public school district in the town of Rockingham in Richmond County. Five (5) temporary members of a new school committee were named in the Act. This Act was repealed on February 16, 1899; see below.
On February 16, 1899, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to repeal the earlier Act of March XX, 1897 (above) pertaining to creating a public school district in the town of Rockingham in Richmond County.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were seven (7) private schools in Richmond County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Rockingham Academy

Rockingham

G.R. King

100

Roberdell Academy

Roberdell

W.T. Robinson

75

Laurinburg Academy

Laurinburg*

W.G. Quackenbush

90

Mineral Springs Academy

Ellerbe

?. Criddlebough

50

Parson's Academy

Covington

W.O. Rudisill

50

Gibson Academy

Gibson*

C.D. Koonce

65

Gibson High School

Gibson*

F.P. Wyche

65
*Actually in the newly-created Scotland County at this point in time.

Work for the care of delinquent youth in North Carolina began in 1890 when the State Board of Public Charities passed a resolution calling for the appointment of a committee to formulate plans for a juvenile reform school for offenders. In 1907, the North Carolina legislature passed an Act creating the Stonewall Jackson Manual Training and Industrial School in Cabarrus County. In 1909, the school opened to serve one hundred and twenty (120) white male adolescents.

By the 1920s, Thad Tate, a black barber and civic leader from Charlotte, was voicing his concern about the large number of black youths being placed on chain gangs as punishment for committing crimes. Tate approached one of his clients, Cameron Morrison, then a candidate for governor, and suggested a training school be established for young black men in trouble with the law. His proposition was that, just as at the Stonewall Jackson School, offenders could learn a trade and be given a new start in life.

In 1925, during Cameron Morrison’s term as governor, the Cameron Morrison Training School for Negroes was opened on a 700-acre farm in the community of Hoffman in Richmond County. The school’s core curriculum included English, social studies, mathematics, and science. Vocational education courses offered included shoe repair, electricity, carpentry, brick masonry, auto mechanics, barbering, arts and crafts, vocational agriculture, and graphic arts. As stated in the Second Annual Report of the Morrison Training School “the school committed itself to the task of making citizens rather than punitive repression.” By the end of the school’s first year in operation the school’s population had grown from thirty-seven (37) to sixty-two (62) and by 1956, the enrollment had risen to 228. The school closed during the 1970s and the property was turned over to the Department of Correction.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

 
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved