North Carolina Education - Stanly County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1841

Stanly County

Albemarle
On February 17, 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Yadkin Mineral Spring Academy in Stanly County. Five (5) trustees were named in the Act. This Act was amended on February 27, 1899; see below.
On March 6, 1885, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Bilesville Academy in Stanly County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.

Pfeiffer University was established in 1885 as Oberlin Home and School at Lick Mountain, near Hudson in southeastern Caldwell County. It was founded by Emily C. Prudden, a Connecticut transplant who spent almost fifty years setting up schools in North Carolina’s western piedmont region and mountains. With each of her schools, Prudden would oversee initial operation and then transfer the school and property to a church mission society. In 1903, Prudden deeded Oberlin to the Women’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which renamed it the Ebenezer Mitchell Home and School. A fire in 1908 led to the temporary relocation to facilities in the town of Lenoir and finally, in 1910, to its present location in Misenhiemer in Stanly County, North Carolina.

A junior college curriculum was added in 1928 and Mitchell Junior College was accredited by the state six years later. Improvements in county schools allowed Mitchell Junior College to strengthen its collegiate-level courses. In 1935, the school was renamed in honor of benefactors Henry and Annie Merner Pfeiffer of New York. The couple donated funds for the construction of four brick buildings and a president’s home. Expanding both physically and academically, Pfeiffer was became a four-year college in 1960. A final change in academic structure garnered the school university status in 1996. Now with satellite campuses in Charlotte and Durham, Pfeiffer University is an apt tribute to Emily C. Prudden’s nineteenth century educational work.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

On March 11, 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Albemarle Academy in the town of Albemarle in Stanly County. The founder, H.W. Spinkle, is the only person named in this Act.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1889 and 1890, it was reported that there were five (5) private schools for white children in Stanly County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Norwood High School

Norwood

R.L. Smith

71

Rilesville Academy

Rilesville

J.W. Kirk

54

Yadkin Mineral Springs Institute

Palmerville

E.F. Eddins

65

Stanly Hall

Locust

Misses Ufford & Glover

56

Albemarle Academy

Albemarle

J.A. Bivins

110
On February 18, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Stanly Hall Industrial School for White Boys in the village of Locust Level in Stanly County. Three (3) teachers / incorporators were named in the Act.
On February 9, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Carr Academy in the town of Norwood in Stanly County. Twenty-six (26) trustees were named in the Act.
On March 8, 1895, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to prevent the manufacture and sale of intoxicating liquors within two (2) miles of Davis' School House and Bethel Baptist Church, both in Stanly County.
On March 8, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to charter Gladstone Academy in the town of Gladstone in Stanly County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On February 27, 1899, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the qualified voters in the town of Albemarle in Stanly County to decide whether to levy a special tax to fund a graded school in the town of Albemarle. Also to vote on the issuance of bonds up to $5,000. Nine (9) temporary school commissioners were named in the Act.
Also on February 27, 1899, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to amend the earlier Act of February 17, 1883 (above) concerning the Yadkin Mineral Spring Academy in Stanly County. The academy may now grant certificates of proficiency.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were four (4) private schools in Stanly County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Palmerville Academy

Palmerville

E.F. Eddins

100

Norwood Academy

Norwood

Prof. Kirk

100

Big Lick Academy

Big Lick

C.J. Black

150

New London Academy

New London

F.J. Dunn

--
 
 
 
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved