North Carolina Education - Stokes County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1789

Stokes County

Germanton,
Danbury

Salem Academy and College (today administratively one unit) began as the “Little Girls’ School,” founded by the Moravians in late April of 1772. Moravians, who had founded the twon of Salem six (6) years earlier, were early advocates for equal education for females and had long nourished the idea of bringing children together, in a school setting, to help reinforce a strong religious foundation. The first teacher in the “Little Girls’ School” was Elisabeth Oesterlein. In the fall of 1802, the institution became a boarding school for girls. Young women from across North Carolina and surrounding states flocked to Salem to attend the school. The institution served a diverse array of young students, including girls of African American descent (as early as 1785) and the daughter of a Cherokee Indian chief (in the 1820s).

Salem College, with a founding date of 1772, claims to be the oldest women’s college in the nation (and the thirteenth oldest college overall) and is ranked as such by the American Council on Education. The issue as to which women’s college is the oldest is somewhat complicated. Stephens College in Missouri lays claim to being the second oldest, being founded in 1833. Yet, both schools evolved from institutions created to educate girls. Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts was founded as a college in 1837 and also lays claim to being the nation’s oldest.

During the 1860s, college-level courses were added to the curriculum. After the American Civil War, the school was incorporated by an act of the North Carolina General Assembly in 1866, and became known as the Salem Female Academy. The first college degrees earned were granted in 1890. The next milestone in Salem’s development occurred in 1933, when new and separate facilities for prep school students were erected along the eastern perimeter of the campus and the institution became known as Salem Academy and College.

When established in 1772, Salem Academy was in Surry County. In 1789, it was in Stokes County. In 1849, it was in Forsyth County and has been ever since.

The above write-up (with edits and additions) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and view their sources.

This Author has not found the legislative Acts and Resolutions from 1791 to 1816. If they are ever located then they will be appropriately included herein.
On December 31, 1824, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Clinton Library Society in Stokes County.
On January 9, 1833, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish and incorporate the Barshavia Farmers Academy in Stokes County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
Also on January 9, 1833, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish and incorporate the Good Spring Grammar School in Stokes County. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 13, 1834, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Pleasant Hill Academy in Stokes County. Ten (10) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 10, 1835, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to establish and incorporate the Germanton Academy in the town of Germanton in Stokes County. Sixteen (16) trustees were named in the Act.
On January 7, 1845, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Bethania Literary Society and Academy in the town of Bethania in Stokes County. Three (3) trustees were named in the Act. In 1849, Bethania was in Forsyth County.
On January 28, 1851, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to empower the count courts in Forsyth County and Stokes County to appoint superintendents of common school in their respective counties. This was because Forsyth County was created out of Stokes County in 1849.
On March 11, 1885, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to provide for better schools in certain school districts in Surry County and Stokes County. May join two school districts for better use of funds, even across county lines.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1889 and 1890, it was reported that there were four (4) private schools for white children in Stokes County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Walnut Cove High School

Walnut Cove

Rev. S.R. Traywick

63

Germanton Institute

Germanton

W.B. Harris

75

Dalton Institute

Dalton

W.A. Flynt

90

Pinnacle Academy

Culler

A.L. Crutchfield

65
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were seven (7) private schools in Stokes County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

Sandy Ridge School

Sandy Ridge

S.W. Hall

50

Danbury Academy

Danbury

W.B. Harris

65

Mount View School

Mizpah

M.T. Clinton

50

Westfield Academy

Westfield*

A.G. Royal

40

Germanton Academy

Germanton

C.C. Boyles

40

Walnut Cove School

Walnut Cove

W.H. Albright

50

Pilot Mountain Academy

Pilot Mountain*

Mr. Flynt

65
*Westfield and Pilot Mountain were officially in Surry County as of 1889.
 
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved