North Carolina Education - Swain County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1871

Swain County

Bryson City
On March 9, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to allow certain persons in Jackson County to attend public school in Whittier and Swain County. Those who live within one (1) mile of Whittier Bridge. This Act was repealed on March 4, 1893; see below.
On February 25, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize certain citizens of Swain County to send their children to school in Graham County. Those living on Twenty Mile Creek in Swain County.
On March 4, 1893, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to repeal the earlier Act of March 9, 1891 (above) allowing persons in Jackson County to attend the public school in Whittier and Swain County.
On March 9, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to permit certain persons in Jackson County to attend the public school at Whittier's in Swain County. Boundaries were defined in the Act.
Also on March 9, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Swain County High School in Swain County. Nine (9) trustees were named in the Act.
On March 6, 1899, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the James L. Robinson Institute in the town of Bryson City in Swain County. Fifteen (15) corporators were named in the Act.
In the Biennial Report of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for the scholastic years of 1899 and 1900, it was reported that there were two (2) private schools in Swain County:

Private School

Town/Village

Principal

No. of Students

James L. Robinson Institute

Bryson City

S.B. Parris & L. Lee Marr

90

Whittier School

Whittier

Morrison E. Muriam

65
 
 


© 2018 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved