North Carolina Education - Union County

Year County Established

County Webpage Herein

County Seat Webpage Herein

1842

Union County

Monroe
On December XX, 1874, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Monroe High School in the town of Monroe in Union County. Twenty-five (25) corporators were named in the Act, and they were authorized assets up to $50,000.
On February 18, 1881, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to assist School District No. 10 and School District No. 12 in New Salem Township in Union County to correct payment errors of 1877.
On March 10, 1881, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate the Western Union Normal School for the Colored in the town of Monroe in Union County. Eleven (11) trustees were named in the Act, and the school was chartered for ninety-nine (99) years.
On February 27, 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the qualified voters in the town of Monroe in Union County to decide whether to levy a special tax to pay for a graded school in the town of Monroe.
On March 7, 1891, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to incorporate Monroe High School in the town of Monroe in Union County. Two (2) corporators were named in the Act, and the school was chartered for sixty (60) years.

Discussions about establishing a church-sponsored school in Union County began as early as 1876 at the yearly meeting of the Brown Creek Union Baptist Association. The American Civil War had led to the closure of the free common schools in the area and virtually no public school had re-opened. In 1895, the Association passed a resolution authorizing the establishment of a school for the higher education of young men and women of the county and in the Association. The land for the school was selected for its close proximity to water, to the railroad, and to Meadow Branch Baptist Church, which figured prominently into the school’s establishment. G. M. Stewart donated ten acres of land for the site. The school opened in August of 1896 and was named The Wingate School in memory of Dr. Washington Manley Wingate, the former president of Wake Forest College. Marcus Baxter Dry became the school’s first principal. The North Carolina General Assembly formally chartered the school in 1897 [see directly below].

By 1919, the Wingate School was facing competition from six free public schools in the area, so the school discontinued its first six grades and focused on being a competitive denominational high school. In 1923, the Wingate School became Wingate Junior College, Incorporated. At that point the State Baptist Convention took over responsibility of the school from the Union Association. Amidst the financial struggles of the Great Depression, on April 23, 1932, the Administration Building that housed all the classrooms, library, auditorium, society hall, and administrative offices, burned. Despite serious financial straits, the college remained opened and the building was replaced.

In 1977, Wingate Junior College became Wingate College, a four year liberal arts institution and, in 1995, it became Wingate University. Wingate has grown from a 10-acre campus to a 390–acre campus with thirty (30) buildings. Its sixteen hundred (1,600) students are offered a curriculum including thirty five (35) different majors. The university continues to be affiliated with the North Carolina Baptist State Convention.

The above write-up (with edits) was provided by the North Carolina Highway Marker program. Click Here to read and to view their sources.

On February 18, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to officially incorporate the Wingate School in the village of Wingate (was the village of Ames) in Union County. Fifteen (15) trustees were named in the Act, and all property was to be tax exempt.
On February 25, 1897, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an Act to authorize the qualified voters in the town of Monroe in Union County to decide whether to levy a special tax for graded schools in the town of Monroe. Seven (7) trustees were named in the Act.
 
 
 
 
 
 


© 2017 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved