The Royal Colony of North Carolina

North Carolina Parishes - 1715 to 1775

In 1701, the North Carolina General Assembly passed the Vestry Act to make the Church of England as the official church for the province. No copy of this Act has survived, and most historians assert that the Lords Proprietors probably disallowed it.

In 1711, the North Carolina General Assembly passed another Vestry Act as above, but no copy of this Act has survived, and again, most historians assert that the Lords Proprietors probably disallowed it.

In 1715, the North Carolina General Assembly passed the same Vestry Act as was passed in 1711, and this Act was signed into law. Click Here to read the entire Vestry Act of 1715.

In 1741, the North Carolina General Assembly passed an updated Vestry Act, and this Act was signed into law. Click Here to read the entire Vestry Act of 1741. 

In 1754, the North Carolina General Assembly passed another update to the Vestry Act, and this Act was signed into law. Click Here to read the entire Vestry Act of 1754.

North Carolina did not embrace the Church of England parishes to the extent that South Carolina did. The North Carolina parishes were simply ecclesiastical divisions of the Church of England to help build churches and to pay for their ministers. South Carolina also used the "parish system" to serve as election precincts and to raise the local militia, in addition to their ecclesiastial purpose.

Maps Showing the Known Parishes in North Carolina

1729

1740

1750

1760

1770

1775

Alphabetical Listing of all Known Parishes in North Carolina 1715 to 1775

Parish

Year Created

Year Abolished

Original County

Final County

Notes

Berkeley Parish

<1741

1776

Perquimans

Perquimans
Was Perquimans Parish.

Christ Church Parish 

<1741

1776

Craven

Craven
Was Craven Parish.

Craven Parish

1715

<1741 

Craven

Craven
Renamed to Christ Church Parish before 1741

Currituck Parish

1715

1776

Currituck

Currituck
 

Dobbs's Parish

1755

1776

Rowan

Surry
First of two Parishes in Surry County, when it was created in 1771.

Eastern Parish

1715

c.1715

Chowan

Chowan
Very soon renamed to St. Paul's Parish.

Edgecombe Parish

1732

1776

Edgecombe

Halifax
 

Elizabeth Parish

1774

1776

Edgecombe & Halifax

Edgecombe & Halifax
Only known Parish that spanned two counties.

Granville Parish

1758

1776

Granville

Granville
Carved out of St. John's Parish, which became Bute County.

Hyde Parish

1715

<1741

Hyde

Hyde
Renamed to St. George's Parish before 1741

Northwest Parish

1727

1776

Bertie

Northampton
 

Perquimans Parish

1715

<1741

Perquimans

Perquimans
Renamed to Berkeley Parish before 1741.

St. Andrew's Parish

1729

1776

Tyrrell

Tyrrell
 

St. Barnabas's Parish

1759

1776

Hertford

Hertford
Was St. George's Parish in Northampton County.

St. Bartholomew's Parish

1771

1776

Chatham

Chatham
 

St. David's Parish

1754

1776

Cumberland

Cumberland
 

St. Gabriel's Parish

1750

1776

Duplin

Duplin
 

St. George's Parish

<1741

1776

Hyde

Hyde
First of three Parishes with the same name.

St. George's Parish

1750

1776

Anson

Anson
Second of three Parishes with the same name.

St. George's Parish

1758

1759

Northampton

Northampton
Renamed to St. Barnabas's Parish when Hertford County was created in 1759.

St. James's Parish

1729

1776

New Hanover

New Hanover
St. Philip's Parish was carved out in 1741.

St. John's Parish

1715

1776

Carteret

Carteret & Onslow
First of three Parishes with the same name.

St. John's Parish

1715

1776

Pasquotank

Pasquotank
In 1756, St. Peter's Parish was abolished and merged with St. John's Parish.

St. John's Parish

1746

1776

Granville

Bute
Third of three Parishes with the same name.

St. Jude's Parish

1771

1776

Surry

Surry
Second Parish created for Surry County.

St. Luke's Parish

1753

1776

Rowan

Rowan
 

St. Margaret's Parish

1771

1776

Wake

Wake
 

St. Martin's Parish

1734

1776

Bladen

Bladen
First of three Parishes with the same name.

St. Martin's Parish

1762

1776

Mecklenburg

Mecklenburg
Second of three Parishes with the same name.

St. Martin's Parish

1774

1776

Martin

Martin
Third of three Parishes with the same name.

St. Mary's Parish

1756

1776

Edgecombe

Edgecombe
 

St. Matthew's Parish

1752

1776

Orange

Orange
 

St. Michael's Parish

1760

1776

Pitt

Pitt
 

St. Patrick's Parish

1756

1776

Johnston

Dobbs
Carved out of St. Stephen's Parish.

St. Paul's Parish

c.1715

1776

Chowan

Chowan
Originally named Eastern Parish of Chowan Precinct, renamed very soon thereafter.

St. Peter's Parish

1715

1756

Pasquotank

Pasquotank
Abolished in 1756 and merged into St. John's Parish.

St. Philip's Parish

1741

1776

New Hanover

Brunswick
 

St. Stephen's Parish

1746

1776

Johnston

Johnston
 

St. Thomas's Parish

1715

1776

Beaufort

Beaufort
First of two Parishes with the same name.

St. Thomas's Parish

1768

1776

Tryon

Tryon
Second of two Parishes with the same name.

Society Parish

1741

1776

Bertie

Bertie
Was Southwest Parish.

Southwest Parish

1715

1741

Chowan

Bertie
Renamed to Society Parish in 1741.

Unity Parish

1771

1776

Guilford

Guilford
 


© 2015-2017 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved