A History of Albemarle, North Carolina


Stanly County Court House - Albemarle, North Carolina

The city of Albemarle is the county seat of Stanly County, and was incorporated in 1857. It is named for George Monck, the Duke of Albemarle, who was one of the eight Lords Proprietors granted the province of Carolina in 1663 by King Charles II. The city’s early growth in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century was generated by the growth of large textile mills. These mills remained an important part of the city’s economy until the 1980s and 1990s when a more-diversified economy began to emerge. The city currently covers an area of 15 square miles, and has a population of 15,828.

Albemarle is governed by a Mayor and a seven-member City Council. The City Council is comprised of four members that are elected in districts, and four members elected at large. The Mayor serves for a two year term and members of City Council serve four-year staggered terms.

Albemarle is a Main Street community, and has a very successful downtown revitalization program. The city was recognized by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as a National Main Street City this year (2005). There are a number of historic preservation and adaptive reuse projects in the downtown area that have been recently completed or are being planned.

Located in the beautiful Uwharrie Lakes region of Piedmont North Carolina, Albemarle is a business friendly community that still retains the warmth and charm of a small town. To all new visitors and returning guests, "Welcome to Albemarle!"


Smiths Store was granted a U.S. Post Office on May 19, 1826 in Montgomery County, and its first Postmaster was George F. Smith. On March 30, 1841, Smiths Store's name was changed to Albemarle, its new Postmaster was Daniel Freemen, and the town was now in the new Stanly County as the county seat.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved