A History of Allemance, North Carolina

Not merely a mispelling, this is actually how the creek and a new village along that creek was spelled. Beginning simply as Allemance Church, a small community began to develop around the place of worship about 15 to 18 miles southeast of Martinsville, the County Seat of Guilford County at the time.

From those humble beginnings, the town of Allemance was so named around 1788, soon after the American Revolution. Not much else is available to the casual researcher on this town even though it survived into the twentieth century.

The US Post Office Department granted Allemance a Post Office on April 1, 1800, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Jesse Smith. This PO was in continuous operation until March 31, 1905, when it was permanently closed.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved