A History of Bayboro, North Carolina


Pamlico County Court House - Bayboro, North Carolina

Bayboro, the county seat of Pamlico County. Bayboro was named for the Bay River and settled long before it was incorporated in 1881. It is the oldest incorporated town in the county and was the first to have town water.

It became the county seat in 1876. The following year, the court house was relocated here from Stonewall. Although narrow, the Bay River is navigable all the way to the town.

In 2010, the population of Bayboro was 1,263.


Bayboro was granted a U.S. Post Office on May 28, 1877, and its first Postmaster was John L. Winstead. It has been in continuous operation ever since inception.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved