A History of Cashy, North Carolina

How the name ended in "y" is a mystery to many of us - when it was named after the river that had long been spelled Cashie - and still is. In 1743, an Act provided that the new court house for Bertie County, "shall be built between Cusby Bridge and Will's Quarter Bridge" - and the small town that grew from this was simply called Bertie Court House from 1744 to 1753, when it was renamed to Cashy.

Cashy remained the county seat until 1774, when the nearby town of Windsor was named the new county seat. Windsor continues to this day as the county seat, and the town of Cashy faded into oblivion.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved