As is typical with many of the early-established counties,
the first county seat for Cumberland
County, North Carolina was simply named Cumberland Court
House, and it was established soon after the county was created
in 1754. Situated on the south side of the Lower Little River
where this joins the Cape Fear River, Cumberland C.H. was eleven
years ahead of the next town in Cumberland County - Cross
Creek, which was founded less than six miles south of the
county seat in 1765.
Many locals assert that this hamlet acquired the name of Choffington,
and it was located essentially where the town of Linden is now
in Cumberland County. Might be true, but the old maps do not
make such indication - however, we all know that the old map-makers
were not as accurate as those nowadays. All the maps of the mid-1700s
indicate that Cross Creek was very close to Cumberland Court
House, certainly not as far away as present Linden is.