A History of Dobbs Court House, North Carolina

The first county seat of Dobbs County was located on Walnut Creek where it joins the north bank of the Neuse River in what today would be Wayne County, North Carolina. Dobbs Court House was sanctioned in 1758 at the creation of the new county, but it was probably not built until early 1759.

It remained the center of Dobbs County official business until Wayne County was carved out of Dobbs County in 1779 - no longer useful to the citizens of Dobbs and not wanted by the new citizens of Wayne.

Kinston was quickly made the new county seat of Dobbs County until the county was abolished in 1791 and split into Glasgow and Lenoir Counties.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved