A History of Dobson, North Carolina


Shelton Vinyard - Dobson, North Carolina

In 1851, when Yadkin County was created out of part of Surry County, the Act named and directed commissioners to locate the center of the new boundaries of Surry County and fix a new county seat. It also named commissioners to acquire fifty acres of land by purchase or donation and construct a new court house. The law stipulated that the town was to be named Dobson, which has been the county seat of Surry County ever since.


The county seat of Dobson was incorporated in 1891 and was named for either William Dobson, local justice of the peace, or William P. Dobson, member of the General Assembly in 1814.


Black Wolf Vineyards & Wolf's Lair Restaurant - Dobson, North Carolina

Black Wolf Vineyards and The Wolf's Lair Restaurant are colocated at the north end of the Yadkin Valley, North Carolina's first designated viticulture area. The tasting room and restaurant are set atop the highest point on the vineyard grounds, with sweeping panoramas of the surrounding Piedmont foothills and the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. Visitors are welcome to walk the grounds, and visit a spring-fed well house and "secret garden," where you can look for a meteorite set into the stone wall that surrounds the garden.


Dobson was granted a U.S. Post Office on July 1, 1853, and its first Postmaster was Constantine L. Barnes. It has been in continuous operation ever since inception.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved