A History of Fort Landing, North Carolina

Fort Landing was a traders' temporary log stockade protecting against local Indians as early as the year 1700. At low tide may be seen what is thought to be the remains of the stockade.


The area that we know today as Tyrrell County was part of the grant made to Sir Ashley Cooper, one of the Lords Proprietors. At this time the area now known as Tyrrell was a vast wilderness inhabited by the Secota Indians and known to the settlers of Albemarle as the South Shore.

As more and more settlers moved to the Albemarle area and it became harder to obtain land, interest increased in exploring the South Shore. About 1680, Thomas Miller and Joshua Tarkenton explored the South Shore area of Albemarle Sound and up the Scuppernong River (known to the Indians as "Quasqo" or winding and crooked). They were so impressed with the area that when they returned to their home across the sound they called the South Shore area as a "Hearts Delight."

This exploration paved the way for settlers to come to the area and the first settlement was built on Alligator Creek about 1700 and was called Fort Landing. This settlement survived the Indian attacks during the Tuscarora War of 1711 and as the Indian threat dwindled more and more settlers began to arrive.


The first permanent white occupation of Tyrrell County probably occurred about 1700 at Fort Landing, located near the mouth of the Alligator River. Other families later occupied tracts along the Scuppernong River and Kendrick Creek or ventured up the Alligator River and cleared lands along the coves and creeks in the southeastern part of the county. This section became characterized by modest farms, river landings, and hamlets - all linked together by canals that facilitated farming and small-boat transportation. Inland settlement took place later, as small farmers settled along the edges of peat and muck bogs and on the ridges of high ground. However, a great deal of the interior remained undeveloped until the twentieth century when timber and pulpwood interests cut roads and drainage canals through the swamplands.
U.S. 64 originally ended in Fort Landing, on the Alligator River in Tyrrell County, North Carolina.
Fort Landing was granted a US Post Office on April 2, 1856, and its first Postmaster was Mr. William J. Beasley. It remained in continuous operation until May 15, 1931, when it was closed permanently.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved