A History of Gatesville, North Carolina

Gates County Court House - Gatesville, North Carolina - Built in 1836

Gates County was formed in 1779 from Chowan, Hertford, and Perquimans counties.

It was named in honor of Continental Army Major General Horatio Gates, who commanded the American Army at the Battle of Saratoga, NY. As commanding general at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777, he delivered one of the most damaging blows yet felt by English forces in the war. However, in 1780 his failure at the disastrous Battle of Camden transformed him from one of the Revolution's most esteemed soldiers into one of its most controversial.

In 1780 a court house, prison and stocks were built in Gatesville, at that time known as Gates Court House. In 1830-31, the Legislature passed an Act, which changed the name of the county seat from Gates Court House to Gatesville. In 1836, the Federal style court house was built, which now houses the Gates County Public Library and Gates County Historical Society.


As Gates C.H, the town was granted a US Post Office on January 1, 1804, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Daniel Southall. It has been in continuous operation ever since.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved