A History of Germantown, North Carolina

Germanton Art Gallery and Winery - Germanton, North Carolina

Germanton, settled in 1790 by German immigrants, is located seven miles north of Winston-Salem, NC.

This small village is uniquely situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, taking advantage of sun-filled days, rich soil and clean air to grow the succulent French-American hybrid grapes. Germanton Vineyard & Winery had its beginning in 1981 when it began processing locally-grown plush grapes.

In addition to excellent wines, we offer a complement of original fine art and prints. We stock many original pieces by internationally known artists. Germanton Gallery represents over 80 artists.


When Stokes County was taken from Surry, the old courthouse was ordered to be sold, and the proceeds were to be equally divided between Surry and Stokes and applied towards the erection of two new courthouses. The act ordered the first court to be held at the home of Gray Bynum, and all subsequent courts were to be held where the justices designated until the courthouse could be constructed. Commissioners were named to select the site and have public buildings built.

In 1790, Germantown was laid out on land deeded to the county from Michael and Henry Fry. Germantown remained the county seat until 1849, when Forsyth County was created out of Stokes County. The act establishing Forsyth County directed that the first court of Stokes after the passage of the act to be held at Germantown, at which time the justices were to determine a location for the new courthouse and jail. In 1851, Crawford was established as the county seat. In 1852, Crawford was renamed to Danbury, which as been the county seat ever since.


Germanton was granted a US Post Office on January 1, 1795, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Joseph Betting. It has been in continuous operation ever since.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved