Within a few miles of the previous and the final Granville
County seats, Granville Court House was established in 1764
on a branch of the Tar River known as Tabb's Creek. For some
reason Harrisburgh was not satisfactory
as the county seat, but it was only three or four miles southwest
of the new court house of 1764.
The next county seat was established only three or four miles
southeast of Granville Court House at a location first named
Merritsville - renamed to Oxford
in 1811 - the current county seat for Granville County.