From 1746 to 1764, the town of Harrisburgh served as the county
seat of the newly-established Granville
County, which spanned most of the upper half of North Carolina
until it was broken up during that period of time.
In 1764, the location was considered unsatisfactory and the
county seat was moved to Tabb's Creek on the Tar River - simply
named Granville Court House.
Oxford was made the county seat in 1811, and it was incorporated
in 1816. Harrisburgh existed until around the time that Oxford
was created, then it disappeared.