A History of Huntsville, North Carolina

The town of Huntsville was established in the 1790s by Charles Hunt out of land from the Abraham Creson estate. Creson, one of the Regulators in the Regulator's War, obtained land in the area in 1748 when the property was in Anson County. He opened the first store near the Shallow Ford, across which thousands of travelers came down the Great Wagon Road to settle in western North Carolina and farther west across the Blue Ridge Mountains. Portions of the Salem-to-Mulberry Fields Road are still visible (on private property, however).

During the American Revolutionary War, a skirmish was fought near Huntsville on October 14, 1780 between the Loyalists and the Patriots at Shallow Ford. Fifteen Loyalists were killed, and one Patriot, Captain Henry Francis, who is buried near the Big Poplar Tree. Descendants recently placed a new and corrected tombstone at his grave.

Huntsville continues to this day and can still be found on maps. It is currently located in the southeast corner of Yadkin County only a few miles west of the Forsyth County line and a few miles north of the Davie County line. When it was established, Huntsville was in Surry County, again in the southeast corner only a few miles west of the Stokes County line and a few miles north of the Rowan County line.

On January 1, 1795, Huntsville was granted a US Post Office, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Henry Young. When Yadkin County was created in 1850, Huntsville was now in that county. The first Postmaster of Huntsville in Yadkin County was Mr. Thomas Long, appointed on March 20, 1851. This Post Office was in continuous operation until January 31, 1907, when it closed for good.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved