A History of Johnston, North Carolina

From 1734 to 1735, Onslow County's court was held at "the court house on New River." In 1735, it was held at Joseph Howard's, and at Christian Heidleber's.

After April of 1737, it was held at "the court house on New River." That court house was burned in 1744.

Between 1744 and 1753, court was held at "Johnston on New River." Johnston was established in 1741.

For a while, court was held at the private homes of James Foyle and Thomas Black.

In 1753, the court met at Jonathan Melton's on North East New River, a storm having destroyed Johnston in 1752.

In 1757, court was held at the new court house at Wantland's Ferry on New River. In 1819, a new court house was authorized to be established within one-half mile from the old court house and on the same side of the river.

In 1842, Jacksonville was authorized, but it was not laid out until after 1849. It became the county seat from that time forward.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved