A History of Johnstonville, North Carolina

The act establishing Randolph County authorized the first court and all subsequent courts to be held at the home of Abraham Reese unless otherwise decided upon by the justices of the peace until a court house could be built. Commissioners were named in 1783 to select a site for the county seat. This Act directed that court be held at the home of William Bell until the court house was completed. In 1785, an Act was passed removing the court from the house of William Bell and allowing the justices at each court to decide where the next court would meet until the court house was completed.

In 1788, a town was established at the court house on the land of Thomas Dougan. This town was named Johnstonville in honor of Samuel Johnston, a North Carolina leader at the beginning of the American Revolution, and the fifth Governor of North Carolina from 1787 to 1789.

In 1791, an Act was passed authorizing the construction of a prison at the court house. In 1792, an Act was passed authorizing commissioners to select a site in the center of the county and have a new court house erected, as the old court house was not in the center of the county. In 1796, Asheborough was established as the county seat on the land of Jesse Henley. In 1819, a new court house was authorized to be built in Asheborough. Asheboro is the county seat.


As Randolph C.H, the town was granted a US Post Office on January 1, 1800, and its first Postmaster was Mr. John Harvey. This Post Office was closed down on January 1, 1819, when Asheboro's PO was opened.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved