A History of Leasburg, North Carolina

Caswell County Raceway - Leasburg, North Carolina

In 1783, Leasburg was established "adjoining to where the Caswell Court House now stands." In 1791, when Person County was formed, the court was ordered to be held at Joseph Smith's. The court house at Leasburg was ordered sold by the commissioners of Caswell County and Person County.

An act was passed in 1829 directing the justices to enlarged the public square, or buy some land elsewhere and erect a new court house. In 1833, Yanceyville was established at the court house. It was named in honor of Bartlett Yancey and is the county seat of Caswell County.

The first county seat of Caswell, Leasburg has an impressive collection of early nineteenth century residential architecture within a dignified village atmosphere.


According to the Depression Era WPA book entitled, "North Carolina - A Guide to the Old North State" within the Federal Writers Project named the American Guide Series, first published in 1939 by the University of North Carolina Press - Leasburg was "founded in 1751 by James Lea, the town was the seat of Caswell County until 1791. Capt. John G. Lea was a Ku Klux Klan leader and in 1870 was said to have been a member of the group that killed J.W. Stephens."
Leasburgh was granted a US Post Office on April 1, 1796, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Laurence Lea. It has been in continuous operation ever since.


© 2008 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved