A History of Lexington, North Carolina

Davidson County Court House - Lexington, North Carolina

In 1775, it is said that a store, a few houses, and a tavern existed along the crossroads area of the main north-south route connecting Salem (now Winston-Salem) to Cross Creek (later to become Fayetteville), and the east-west route connecting Salisbury with Jamestown in the east. The village was too small to be named, but after the first skirmish of the American Revolutionary War in April of 1775, local Patriots began calling the settlement Lexington in honor of the events in Lexington, Massachusetts.

The North Carolina town of Lexington was incorporated in 1828.

Custom dictated that the county seat be established in the exact center of the county and that was found to be a few miles from the existing village of Lexington. Land was bought and a new entity by the name of Marion was planned to be built as the county seat. The people of Lexington argued and petitioned for the case to be reopened, and eventually Lexington became the permanent county seat of Davidson County.

The village of Marion was never built. Today, the county school administration building sits in the geographic center of the county in the area where the proposed village of Marion was to be built.

The first Davidson County court house was completed in 1858, and was the only masonry building in the county at that time. The courthouse was used as barracks for Yankee soldiers in the civil war. The first court house was damaged by fire in 1865, and rebuilt in 1867. Today, the old court house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the few buildings in the county protected against destruction by preservation easements.


Lexington was granted a US Post Office on October 1, 1800, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Richard Leach. It has been in continuous operation ever since.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved