Lincoln County Court House - Lincolnton, NC
Lincolnton was established as the county seat of Lincoln County in 1785. It was laid out with a central court house surrounded by a grid plan of streets, blocks, and lots with four primary streetsEast Main, West Main, North Aspen, and South Aspenleading from the court house and dividing the town into quadrants. Over time, development in Lincolnton filled the original grid plan, expanded it, and eventually moved beyond it while maintaining the four principal arteries like compass points.
Due to a steady influx of pioneers to North Carolinas backcountry, by 1840 Lincoln County was one of the largest and most populous counties in North Carolina. It led the state in the value of many farm products, including wheat, orchard products, and dairy products and was among the top producers of cotton and livestock statewide. In the late eighteenth century, forges and furnaces in Lincoln County were among many that were established in the western Piedmont. By 1849, the countys ironworks lead the industry in North Carolina, producing large quantities of iron castings, bar iron, and wrought-iron tools. Other manufacturing activities such as saw mills, grist mills, tanneries, paper mills, and potteries bolstered the economy.
Of particular significance, around 1813, Michael Schenck established the first successful textile mill south of New England. In 1816, it was destroyed by a flood, but three years later Schenck, James Bivens, and John Hoke erected a larger plant, the Lincoln Cotton Mills, on the South Fork of the Catawba River, which operated until the American Civil War.
Lincolnton grew into a prosperous center of trade, culture, and government. In 1800, forty-eight (48) whites and forty-four (44) slaves lived in town. In 1816, growth had continued to the point where the General Assembly authorized the laying off of additional lots in the town on land previously set aside, reserving tracts for an academy and a church. By 1820, the number of town lots had expanded from the original 100 to 161. The sale of town lots provided for the construction, ca. 1821, of the Pleasant Retreat Academy for male students. Several years later a female academy was constructed.
Lincolnton continued to grow. According to the Lincoln Courier, by 1845, five (5) attorneys maintained offices along East Main Street, six (6) physicians had their offices along both East and West Main Street, and merchants surrounded the court house. Additionally the town supported four hotels, four grocers, three tailors, a watchmaker and jeweler, a printer, three saddle and harness makers, five coach factories, five blacksmiths, a cabinetmaker, two tanners, two hat manufacturers, two shoemakers, and a coppersmith, as well as five carpenters and two brick masons.
Political developments in the 1840s, however, had a sobering effect on Lincolntons future. In 1841, Cleveland County was formed out of part of Lincoln County, followed by the creation of Catawba County in 1842 and Gaston County in 1846. As a result Lincoln County was reduced from over 1,800 square miles to a mere 305 square miles. In the 1840s partitions, Lincoln County lost prime farmlands and important factory sites to the new counties, and much of the countys momentum for growth was curtailed.
Growth in Lincoln Countys population remained static during the mid-nineteeth century and progressed at a slow pace throughout much of the second half of the century. In 1887, the editor of the of the Lincoln Courier wrote that Lincolnton is not dead. Her condition is simply comatose .
With the beginning of a new century, Lincolnton began to flourish once more. A variety of new businesses improved the local economy, yet they were surpassed in their impact by a growing number of textile mills located in and around Lincolnton that took advantage of the South Fork of the Catawba River and two rail lines. The towns population increased from 828 in 1900 to 2,413 in 1910; by 1920, it had reached 3,390. The early twentieth century saw building activity greatly increase in Lincolnton, with brick stores replacing frame structures around the court square.
Today Lincolntons history is reflected in its downtown and residential historic districts adjacent to downtown.
The South Aspen Street Historic District is a cohesive and distinctive area where over seventy historic resources form a microcosm of Lincolntons residential and institutional development from the mid-nineteenth century to the mid-twentieth century.
The West Main Street Historic District possesses among its eighteen primary and eight secondary resources the largest surviving collection of buildings erected in Lincolnton during the nineteenth century prior to the Civil Warthat period when the county seat experienced its greatest period of prosperity and influence. The buildings reflect the Federal and Greek revival styles of architecture.
Complementing the buildings from the first half of the nineteenth century up to the Civil War, the district also contains houses from the first three decades of the twentieth century that are good representatives of the transitional late Victorian/Colonial Revival, Colonial Revival, bungalow/Craftsman and period cottage styles popular during those years.
Lincoln Cultural Center - Lincolnton, NC
Lincolnton was granted a US Post Office on January 1, 1795, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Joseph Morris. It has been in continuous operation ever since.