A History of Marshall, North Carolina


Madison County Court House - Marshall, North Carolina

The county seat of Madison County is Marshall (originally called Lapland) was named for U.S. Chief Justice John Marshall. The Madison County Court House constructed in 1906, is a two story Neo-Classical Revival brick structure in the heart of Marshall. It cost $30,000 to build. The cupola, a four-stage polygonal structure, is one of the most impressive court house cupolas in North Carolina. The domical roof, bearing clocks on its alternate faces, is capped by a lantern which serves as a pedestal for a statue of Blind Justice. This court house was built by the famed architect, Richard Sharp Smith.

Marshall is a small town situated along the French Broad River. The old Train Depot was recently refurbished and used for Friday Nights where the local Bluegrass bands gather for a night of music, dancing and fun.

Our town boasts two red lights for traffic to get you through town. There is a bridge that crosses the river where the school was located for many years. Updating our schools has been one of the county school board's goals that are currently being met for our area students. A new Middle School has been built as well as a new school for Walnut students to attend for grades four through eight.

Many creeks and of course the French Broad river where you can fish and enjoy life to the fullest. NC Fishing is a great past time.

In the western North Carolina county of Madison, recreation, culture and history abound. An outdoor enthusiasts paradise, with the Appalachian Trail, whitewater rafting golfing, fishing and canoeing on the French Broad River, Madison County is fun filled adventure for the whole family.


Lapland was granted a U.S. Post Office on January 13, 1836 in Buncombe County, and its first Postmaster was David Vance. Lapland was then in Madison County when it was created in 1851. Its name was changed to Marshall, which was granted a new Post Office on April 10, 1857, and its first Postmaster was Adolphus E. Baird. This Post Office has been in continuous operation ever since inception.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved