A History of Mount Prospect, North Carolina

Found on several maps produced just before and just after 1800, Mount Prospect was located on the road from Enfield (Halifax County) to Tarboro, the County Seat of Edgecombe County. Mount Prospect was situated on the north bank of Swift Creek where Dorches Bridge crossed the stream. Very little information is currently available about this early village in North Carolina. It was located roughly 8-10 miles north and a little west of Tarboro.

On July 1, 1801, Mount Prospect was granted a US Post Office, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Henry Jenkins. This PO remained in continuous operation until it was permanently closed on July 9, 1839.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved