A History of New Lebanon, North Carolina

In a book entitled, "A History and New Gazetteer, or Geographical Dictionary of North America and the West Indies," by Bishop Davenport - published in 1843 - New Lebanon is identified (p. 443) as the capital of Camden County, 220 miles NE from Raleigh, and 248 miles from Washington, DC. Interesting when you learn that in 1839 New Lebanon was officially in Pasquotank County, even according to the US Post Office Department.

Found on maps as early as 1797 and as late as 1839 (perhaps even later), New Lebanon was a town in northwestern Camden County, North Carolina until 1839 when minor boundary changes resulted in the town then being in Pasquotank County. One 1799 map indicated that this place was called New London, an obvious error.

US Post Office records indicate that New Lebanon was granted a Post Office on November 3, 1797 in Camden County, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Abner Whitney. When moved to Pasquotank County on May 12, 1839, the new Postmaster was Mr. John Richardson. This PO was in continuous operation until August 19, 1846 when it closed for good.



© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved