A History of Rutherfordton, North Carolina

Carrier House Bed and Breakfast - Rutherfordton, North Carolina

The General Assembly appointed a commission of five men: Thomas Rowland, William Nevill, Felix Walker, James Miller, and James Whiteside to select a new site for the county seat of Rutherford County - the existing county seat of Gilbert Town was no longer convenient.

In September of 1787 the above named commission purchased fifty (50) acres of land from James Adair for the new county seat. It was located on a hill with a good water supply. Ezekiel Enloe surveyed and platted the land. The new town was given the name of Rutherford Town. Later the "w" was dropped from the spelling and today is spelled "Rutherfordton." This is the oldest county seat in western North Carolina.


In the 1830s and 1840s gold coins were minted by the Bechtler family in Rutherford County. The discovery of gold in 1799 in Cabarrus County sparked America's first gold rush. In 1831, German immigrant Christopher Bechtler settled in Rutherfordton and began operating a private mint. Bechtler minted the first gold dollars in America.
Rutherfordton was granted a US Post Office on October 1, 1798, and its first Postmaster was Mr. Alexander M. Gilbert. It has been in continuous operation ever since.


© 2007 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved